Gray Saltwater Pearls

Askelton

image.jpgI got these pearls while I was in Hawaii and was wondering what they were worth. I opened up an oyster and these two were inside! Also where would I take these to sell them?

Did you buy these from a vendor that sells unopened oysters, which you then open to discover the pearl within?

Or did you find them in an oyster that you were eating? And if so, was the oyster raw or cooked?

Did you buy these from a vendor that sells unopened oysters, which you then open to discover the pearl within?

I have a feeling this must be the case, it would an amazing stroke of luck to open 2 wild oysters and get 2 perfectly matched pearls.

I think you must be right.

These are most likely dyed freshwater pearls that have been placed inside an oyster which is then killed with a chemical solution that makes it close shut. They are sold to unsuspecting tourists and have no commerical value.

If instead you found them inside an oyster you were eating, heat would have damaged the pearls if they were cooked. If it was a raw oyster you were eating, then you have a remarkable memento, as it really would be astonishing to find 2.

I'm just trying to figure out a ballpark figure and where I should take these.

Hi and welcome. You're not going to have a great introduction to the world of pearls. This pick a pearl operation is a tourist flim-flam where, as Pearl Dreams says, a shellfish is salted with a low value freshwater pearl which is bigged up to the punters as something special.
It's a nice souvenir but in terms of value. 10cents or maybe a bit more. since you have what looks like a pair you could get them half drilled and made into earrings as a souvenir of your trip. I'd like these operations banned.
I doubt anyone would buy them. Sorry.

As I have already stated these were not from a vendor I found the oyster. I have had them for a few years and I always thought I would have them set into something but I just haven't done it yet.

I did not buy these form a vendor I shouldn't have said that I was in Hawaii that is irrelevant. I found these in One oyster.

Askelton,

We do find this interesting but you need to tell us exactly how you found them, where and everything you know or can remember about what you were doing. This is important so experts can give you an accurate idea on what they are.

It does sound improbable to have such a lucky find so give all the information you have, everything and maybe a better close up, unblurred too. But information first if you can't take another photo right now.

Did you find the oyster in the water or was it on the beach. Was it at night or day. Were you swimming or snorkelling. Was the oyster dead or alive when found. Were they totally clean inside the oyster or did they have gunk on them. Things like that.

I can tell you are feeling frustrated but so are we. We need information to help you.

Dawn - Bodecia
http://www.ebay.com/sch/dawncee333/m.html
eBay Seller ID dawncee333 Natural pearl collector & seller. And all round pearl lover.

So you are saying that you found them in a single, raw oyster and that they are natural pearls.
Did you happen to photograph the shell they came it? Was it specifically an oyster or possibly a mussel, clam or some other shell?

You could try to sell them to someone who buys natural pearls. I do not know what sort of certification they might require, but you can contact them, tell them your story and see where it goes. Here are two:

http://www.karipearls.com/
http://www.thepearlcollector.com/

Pearl Dreams have you ever put an oyster in warm or hot water to remove glue? I am not so sure that short dips in even mildly boiling water would ruin a pearl and am going to give it a go on a cheap pearl to check it out. I have tried removing glue in such a way and I don't think it hurt the pearl at all. This from memory a long time ago so I am not sure on the exact heat, simmering or boiling water but I know whatever it was it did not hurt the pearl. I am not trying to be contrary but trying to clarify if it really does ruin a pearl. When oysters are cooked I think it is for a very short time. Don't like them myself so lacking experience in eating oysters.

Dawn - Bodecia
eBay Seller ID dawncee333 Natural pearl collector & seller. And all round pearl lover.

I was snorkelling during the day and i'm not sure if it was dead or alive but it smelled fresh. (I'm not an oyster person) It was slightly gritty on the inside but I don't remember it being incredibly dirty. I said a few years but it's acutally been about 8 years. How time flies! I had them drilled at Jareds because I was going to set them then decided not toand I have had them in my safe since then. I completely forgot about them until I was looking for something.

Attachments

• Pearls.jpg
    Pearls.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 30
Okay, sounds interesting. I am not that knowledgable with that type of pearl. Do you remember what the oyster or shell looked like? How big it was? How deep were you when you found it? They look like nice pearls to me and not really freshwater so can you take close up photos of the pearls from difference directions and also measure them. I am sure the others can help you with better photos, full information and more info about the oysters and what you can remember. Better close up photos should help too. You photos are good but not close up enough. Use the macro setting and get in as close as you can without blurring. Oh, daylight would be best. I can't think of anything else to ask. Others might.

Bear with us and answer any questions asked. Only way to help. They do look very well matched so it would be a great find if they are naturals.

Dawn - Bodecia

The probability is so non-existent, as to make your story unbelievable. For the pearls to have any value, you would need to have a gemological laboratory experienced in identifying natural pearls produce a report confirming them as natural pearls. Are you willing to invest the money? If so, you may have something. :)

Dawn

No, I have not experimented at all with boiling or steaming pearls; I was just repeating what I have read previously on threads about quahog pearls. My understanding was that a pearl from a cooked clam would have been altered/damaged by the cooking process.

Askelton, I could see a buyer being concerned about the authenticity of drilled pearls that are presented as naturals, and wanting certification that they actually are naturals. But I am not a buyer so it's just speculation on my part.

What size are they?

I don't know a thing about naturals but I can't help thinking it looks like Tahitian pearls. Could it be a production oyster gone astray? Sorry if I'm being ignorant here...

- Karin

What size are they?

I don't know a thing about naturals but I can't help thinking it looks like Tahitian pearls. Could it be a production oyster gone astray? Sorry if I'm being ignorant here...

- Karin

The color is right, but they would be very small for Tahitian pearls. :)

Hi Pearl Dreams,
I have seen those threads too, especially regarding Quahog & other pearls but that has not been my experience. I will get around to doing some tests on cheapies to see how much damage if any is done to pearls if simmered for a short time and if actually boiled for a couple of minutes.
Wasn't meant to be rude (might have sounded that way though, sorry if so), just wondered if you had any hands on experience and what happened if so. It does get confusing when we read opposite opinions on what is safe and what is not.

Must show my ignorance here. Are pearls cultivated around Hawaii or what pearls are in that area or mollusks, oysters, shells?

Askelton seemed sincere enough. Just not enough info. If so, what could they be? Also what type of pearls do the venders hawk in Hawaii?

Dawn - Bodecia

There used to be a cultured pearl farm in HI. It closed about as I joined P-G, if I remember correctly.

Strack has 15 mentions of pearls in HI. Mention number 1 on p51, is that a sub type of margaritifera-galtsoffi grows only around HI. She says this is the species that they tried to culture in the last ten years before her book came out. Pearl Harbor black pearls were sought after in the 1800's (by Euros) on p242 she says only that it is important to note that freshwater pearls were found on Oahu.

OK pay dirt on p 573! The natural pearl market was depleted during the 19th century and killed during WWII. Galtsoff tried to reseed the oysters in the 30's and his work was undone by the war - but they named the subspecies after him.

One other thing, Maculata pearls are apparently still found in sheltered bays, though obviously no one knows about that, except maybe the OP though I never saw maculatas that color, there may well be some on the thread where they are for sale. I hesitate to use the common name for them. I saw a dark one on the pipi thread, so maybe they are pipi pearls

Last edited:
Back