Gorgeous golds....

hbyrne

Hello Pearlfans,

I've been meaning to post some photos of this sumptuous necklace for some time now, and as it's been a sunny day I think the pics I've taken show the colours fairly well. I've no knowledge as to their origin other than that it's old, maybe circa 1920's, the neck is 18", and the smallest Pearl is 3mm, largest 7mm. It really has such a range of shapes, and colours; pinks, creams, yellows and some extraordinary metallic golds, much more so than any of the other older naturals I've seen.

Does anyone have a hunch as to whether they could be saltwater or freshwater? A particular species? I've spent so long looking at them, and using the resources I have I'm still no wiser!! I'd be really grateful for any comments.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

My first thought was maybe they're Scottish river pearls? But from what I'm reading online now, the colors are typically pastel, with subtle luster, while some of those seem metallic.

Edit: Dave to the rescue! :)
They are beautiful.

Oooh, surprise!! Thank you all for your comments. I hadn't thought of pipi's, but then I've never seen any. It looks as thought it is made from a 'collection' of Pearls. I'm guessing that if it is Pipi, it could make it quite a rare necklace? I need to learn more about them...

Thank you for your offer, Pattye, I wish I could ask you to thread it for me. I was so excited to examine it when I bought it (I literally had the mythical 'hungry eyes') and as it hangs so well I've been loath to get it re-threaded. The clasp looks French to me, but has no marks. Maybe I'll get the metal tested.

Oooh, surprise!! Thank you all for your comments. I hadn't thought of pipi's, but then I've never seen any. It looks as thought it is made from a 'collection' of Pearls. I'm guessing that if it is Pipi, it could make it quite a rare necklace? I need to learn more about them...

Pipi, like most pearls can be any color, but that tangerine color really makes them stand out from other species.

Even though they're somewhat matched by color and size, you can see how different each of these are nonetheless. Likewise an extreme mix of luster from translucent to pastel to metallic. Very much as I'd expect to see in a natural strand of this type.

As to rarity, perhaps by vintage. Of all the modern natural pearl divers in the world, the pipi harvest in the Pacific Islands is one of the more sustained. Pipi shell stock are quite plentiful, though small. The pearl to oyster ratio is wide, but they make up for it in value, notably for their extreme colors.

An outstanding piece, Helen. Great photos too.

Last edited:
Beautiful necklace! Some of the pearls look out of this world. I would love to see a neck shot.

Thank you Dave, it is a bit of a mixed bag in terms of colour and lustre, isn't it?! That's what made me want to have a closer look. As a piece to wear it's maybe not as attractive as a more evenly matched necklace, but 'interesting' is what I like.

I've read that historically pipi pearls weren't as valued as the shells they were found in which seems an awful shame as they're so magical and come in such a range of colours. The area they come from was in colonial times called French Polynesia, maybe that'll explain the French style of workmanship on the clasp?

Thank you for the link Pattye, I love something new to research ☺️

I'm so glad Dave was able to tell you what type of pearls they were. I saw the strand when you first posted and knew they were naturals that I had seen a few times here on the forums, but couldn't remember their name. They are quite extraordinaire. Thank you for sharing.

Last edited:
I really appreciate the links, Pattye, lots of great pics and info there!

I'm really happy with the identification, amti, pretty exciting, eh?! I work with antique jewellery, and so see a lot of older Pearls, but I'm only a beginner when compared to the wealth of experience amongst some of the members of Pearl-Guide, and I've really not much idea as to species when looking at the older naturals.

Back