gia cert on natural pearl strand!

F

foolforgolf36

i have just recieved my pearl strand back from gia!! good news they are natural. gia qoute: one hundred fifteen variously shaped pearls graduated from approx. 6.5mm to 2.50mm in a single strand necklace with a yellow and white metal clasp indistinctly inscribed and stamped "tiffany & co" set with one transparent near colorless marquise brilliant. conclusion: natural pearls ANYONE HAVE ANY GUESSTIMATES ABOUT WORTH? AND BEST WAY TO SELL? THX FOR ANY INFO!!!

Hi,

With the Tiffany clasp you got a Mystique premium. The usual insurance value for a children's strand of natural pearls is around 15 grand. Typically you would get about a 5th to a third of that at a well advertised auction but with a Tiffany provenance you may even make half.

Zeide

no photos but i could work on that. so you think the value of these pearls would be from 4,000 to 7,000 approx? would this be considered a pretty easy to come by natural pearl necklace? for that amount i would probably hold on to it!!

Hi,

A 2.5-6.5mm graduated strand is cosidered the starter set for pearl collectors or the "children's strand" in pearl snob circles. Especially when not too well matched, they are still on the market. As always in jewelry, they are much more expensive to buy than to sell.

Zeide

zeide, i sure do appreciate the info. do you know of any vendors who you would recommend for cultured pearl strands, i own a fine jewelry store in dallas. thx

If you own a jewelry store you will likely be able to get more for the strand - you can sell retail. You are dealing face to face with consumers, and many are looking for unique, special pieces.

Hi,

I second that. With a GIA cert and a Tiffany clasp you can even get more than the usual appraisal value. There is one proviso, though, The piece has to be presented accordingly and it has to be wearable.

Zeide

for whatever reason i dont have very many requests for pearls, but do every once in awhile. i will take you guys advice and try the retail way. would 12,000 asking be out of line? thx

Hi,

With a GIA cert and a Tiffany clasp you can easily ask US$25,000.00 plus tax which is what Tiffany's would charge for a comparable.

Zeide

Back