GemWise: Book Review; Tears of Mermaids

Richard W. Wise

First let me say I was a bit put-off by Mr. Bloom?s prose style. He is without a doubt an elegant writer, but the glib-gonzo style, which is ok in a short piece, rapidly gets under the skin when stretched out to book length.

Mr. Bloom is a journalist and though journalists are not expected to necessarily be experts on the subjects the write about, they do have a responsibility to thoroughly research the topic and get it right. There are times when Bloom does, but there are times when he does not.

READ ON, VISIT GemWise: Gonzo Journalism for gem and jewelry lovers. See link below.

Richard, I did not read the book and can not judge about its quality, but one argument in your review made me quite excited: this is about pricing.

You write: His first and most egregious error occurs in his introduction. “Pearl pricing”, he says, “is totally subjective …The same strand can go for three thousand dollars or thirty thousand dollars.” Nonsense! Oh yes, there is a fool born every minute, but the fact is that pearls trade in a fairly orderly market. So, absent the fool, no such gap between bid and ask prices exists (or the buyer would be soon out of business). Bloom would have been correct if he had said that there is no universally accepted hierarchical grading nomenclature. That is to say, one dealer may call the finest pearls “AAA”, while another may simply start with a single “A”. However the basic criteria: size, symmetry, surface, luster, orient and overtone are universal and used by all.

It may work for the US, but it definitely does not work for Europe. Maybe there are four fools instead of one born here every minute, but the pearl market works in a different way here. As far as I know, hardly any jewelrer here uses the 'A' to 'AAA' grading, and if size and luster are indeed essential, symmetry, orient and overtone are definitely less important. It is just about NICE pearls, charming clasps, interesting designs. Perfectly round and lustrous but dull grey (in my opinion) Tahitians, or large SS pearls with a lot of blemishes would sell quite well if they are put in an extravagant setting.

I am just back from Munich, with its amazing concentration of wealth and expensive shops. Pearl strands and colliers in the shopwindows are priced unbelievably high if somebody (like me in this case) understands a bit in grading. OK - they have more diamonds in clasps, which makes them more chic. Add the import tax on non-European goods, which is sometimes 30% extra to the original price. Add the expensive location at Maximillianstrasse. Add the layout in the shopwindow where this pearl collier is surrounded by extravagant diamond and emerald bracelets for the price of a good car. And here we are: apparently there is no problem with the customres there because I see these shops at the same place for 20 years, and they are not empty.

One of my favourites there is 'The Vision of Pearls' http://www.feine-perlen.de/, it is far(!) too expensive, I know, - but there is fantasy and elegance there, and even if I can not afford buying there it is always a pleasure to see their new designs. Overpriced? - that's for sure. But sometimes people choose to overpay for something that make their backs more straight and walk more confident.

Last edited:
Thanks for the review!

Olmander,

On the wholesale side, three thousand and thirty thousand is a spread you wouldn't see. On the retail side, you could find one hundred examples of it on the Tiffany and Co. Web site alone (Tahitian pearl earrings studs start at $2,500, Chocolate Tahitian strands start at $40,000, freshwater rice pearl strands with sterling clasps $1000+).

So, absent the fool, no such gap between bid and ask prices exists (or the buyer would be soon out of business).
Hi Olga
I thought Richard was talking wholesale distributors to retail store buyers, because he said the Buyer couldn't keep overpaying or he'd go out of business. And a distributor who tried to get $30k for a 3k piece would not last long either.

You appear to be talking added value with fancy shop and diamonds? I thought Richard was talking just pearls, no diamonds included. I am not quite sure a $30k pearl necklace would ever go for $3k without a major business catastrophe that hasn't happened yet. A 3k wholesale might go for $30k retail if a prestigious shop and lots of diamonds were involved.

It appears a little clarification is needed by Richard, but I hate to waste a minute on clarifying any of the stupid remarks Bloom made. Let alone all the facts he got wrong, let alone all the typos in his work, let alone the mean and petty mindset he used toward most people in the industry, nor his absolute lack of understanding of cultural differences. (He did talk about me and I did not mind that part, because it immortalizes me as ZE's implacable foe, so my attitude isn't from taking things personally, it's from the poopoo he inserted into almost every page.)

Wise gave Bloom a mediocre rating on the book- and that is the best he has gotten from a pearl scholar, yet. I would so like not to have any more attention focused on this jerk- or his work.

Thanks Caitlin,
I won't be wasting my time or money on this one!
Marianne

Caitlin and Jeremy, I think indeed some clarification would be nice because from the quotation Richard used it is not at all clear if the author means wholesale prices. And given that the author is a journalist, he might also mean something else than professionals.

Again: there is wholesale and wholesale. My jewelrer Marcel in the Haague has what he calls his own good sources of pearls. They must be selling for wholesale prices to jewelry shops, and shops sell it further for retail prices, right? Marcel was really impressed when I indicated that prices he pays are far too high, and showed him some websites we all know. hLiving in Europe and dealing mostly with physical persons and minimum internet transaction involved, he just never heard that prices could be less.

Yes, for B&M especially there are wholesalers and wholesalers and wholesalers between the processing plant and the retail store. Some of those pearls many have gone through several distributors and wholesalers. The buyer at the processing plant buys a lot of pearls and distributes them in smaller lots to other distributors who distribute them in smaller lots, etc. For those who don't go to shows, there can be many such exchanges with the price rising at each one.. The Gem show here in Tucson, is for wholesale buyers only. Jewelry manufacturers can buy from wholesalers at the gem shows. And so do smaller distributors, designers and retail jewelers. I assumed this was the level he was referring to. Retail customers are the ones who will go out of business? I thought not because they aren't in the business. This is a case of two different assumptions at work, not right or wrong.

Richard Wise is an expert on gems and always has some for sale. He is also a journalist who hangs out at the Big Gemshows and watches prices closely.

No doubt in Richard's expertise :)

It' s just about a different way of distribution. My assumption is that in Europe it is much less common for small retailers and designers to go to big gem shows, therefore there are more levels of wholesale and as a result prices are a priori higher.

Exactly! Most jewelers rely on dealer representatives who visit their shops and sell directly. It's a higher wholesale, but the jeweler can pick up a few pieces without having to travel or purchase an entire line. ;)

Hi Olga
(He did talk about me and I did not mind that part, because it immortalizes me as ZE's implacable foe, so my attitude isn't from taking things personally, it's from the poopoo he inserted into almost every page.).

Caitlin:
I just have to ask: would that be purple poo poo?

Anyone who is ZE's implacable foe is on my list of superhero's.

barbie

ROFL>!!! I would probably like it better if it were purple prose! But I read once that some people can't even discern purple. I have a feeling he fits that category.:rolleyes:

Back