Fun with color palettes!

Not too kind! Unless this is work you did with someone else's idea, this is yours!!! :)I think you write well, better than most. (Just please avoid most importantly. Even if you did use that phrase, a good editor would catch it.)

Don't you work with graduate students? Aren't you working under a Grant? Am i misinformed? Anyway, Research papers have many authors, and many Master's level students need theses ideas. They publish (unfortunately) with their Academic Advisors name as first author, even though they only supervise (but I don't think that can be gotten around).

Oh well, I'm getting pushy and I can't follow through with nuts-and-bolts advice. After all, my X got the degree, I just suffered along with him through it. Maybe someone here with a degree can fill you in. It's just exciting to see an application that actually advances knowledge that can be useful in real life. Many Masters degrees are earned with useless IRL ideas.

Anyway, you have myriad witnesses in the form of PG readers, posters who responded to your initial thread-post and such. Even if you got third or fourth authorship, or heck even a blurb giving you credit for the innovative way you applied known apps... Deep Respect to you.

See? GG agrees with me. While I'm writing a novel, GG gets to the heart of It!

OK, maybe not a chapter in Strack, but whatever kind of acknowledgement Steve got for his Chambered Nautilus pearls, you'd probably get the same. I mean, shoot PGers, isn't this innovative work Dave did? and didn't he explain clearly and teach how to do it?

Last edited:
Don't you work with graduate students? Aren't you working under a Grant? Am i misinformed?

No students, no grants although I have a couple of keen young teens under my wing. It's mine and their hopes they'll run with it long after I'm gone.

The government (for the most part) has been very kind. They allow me to operate largely unregulated, by allowing me exclusive access to underutilized and otherwise unmarketable wild stocks, provided I don't increase their workload, create an environmental disaster or cause mad rushes. Those are rare privileges in these times.

For the same reasons I'm content to share with this group, that my work may not be lost or for not.

I'm grateful to others who appreciate my vision and discoveries.

Anyway, that's probably a topic for another thread some day :)

I mean said:
I absolutely agree with you Lisa ! I don’t know where Dave wants to go with his idea, but I’d love to continue with an online brainstorming to move it forward.
If I’m not mistaken, the initial assumption was to use the color palette to identifies species of pearls, the current direction is that it could be used to differentiate 1) natural vs cultured pearls; 2) treated vs non-treated cultured pearls….. and, as Dave said, there might be other usages to be discovered along the way…

The concept of “reference database” is sticking with me. Here is what come to my mind:
1 – From what I understand, the GIA is using their database of gems (reference catalog) from all over the world to compare and identify a gem ‘s origin (spectroscopic data) (here a fascinating long read – 82 pages – of a field expedition to get sample from a new source of ruby). Btw, an interesting chapter on a calibrated photo shoot with a light box on page 17. http://www.giathai.net/pdf/GIA_Ruby_Montepuez_Mozambique.pdf)

2 - There was a big innovation in the mammogram industry in the US a few year ago. Basically, I think that all mammograms became digital, and were compiled in a national database. So your results were automatically compared to thousands (now millions) of other mammograms. If enough “markers” were found matching a sample of markers that ended up being malignant tumors, it raised a flag. And then there was another procedure (ultra sound) to get more accurate measurements. From what I recall, this new process – although less precise than previous one - increased the early detection of malignant tumors, and decreased overall cost. It’s a strange parallel with the world of pearls, but sometimes innovation come from looking at other “industry” best practices…
Now I need to get back to work :) but I “needed” to get this out of my mind in writing 

Best Regards
Sophie

Thank you Sophie! I was feeling like maybe I sounded aggressive, which is OK :) if someone wants to do something. Otherwise, it isn't.

Sorry Dave, for not remembering your situation accurately. It is an amazingly relaxed arrangement, aside from your required vigilance. Well, perhaps Steve can offer some direction re his contacts in the research world. Or maybe Douglas after harvest can tell you of a graduate student who needs a thesis idea. Shoot, it's not even dirty work, you know? Some student would be lucky to get it.

You're unassuming attitude is nice, but geez I want to get you at least a credit somewhere...hey, aren't you lucky I'm not the boss of you? or anybody? or the world? :eek: Anyway, my deep respect to you.

I mean, shoot PGers, isn't this innovative work Dave did? and didn't he explain clearly and teach how to do it?[/COLOR]

It definitely is innovative work, I agree....and Dave very clearly explained and taught it to us all. And he involved us all into this very interesting perspective of using color palettes to analyse pearl color tones. Thank you so much, Dave and thanks Lisa for posing that question. :)

It feels like the least I could do, but you know Academics are/can be very cut-throat because they really have to scramble to get and keep 'position', and non-credentialed folks do tend to get shafted re getting credit for original ideas. Not every Academic, of course not, but you know, a lot. Heck, the world can be a mad scramble. Wish I were in a position to do more.

One of the nicest things about PG is the generously supportive atmosphere.

Yay, it took me so long to find this thread again! I just enjoyed it so so much that I need to bump it up!
My profile picture is what resulted from pictures of my SoC mabe following this method :)
Attached is the fingerprint palette of my loose SoC pearls.

loose_palette.jpg

Oh, and I am really tempted by realising the following shoes, I'm such a nerd :)

Screen Shot 2019-01-02 at 21.39.38.jpg

Screen Shot 2019-01-01 at 21.05.28.jpg

Back