Fiji J Hunter pearls Savusavu

I'd imagine with high end Tahitians Pearls they would not be inexpensive? They wouldn't try selling them in a large lot during auction would they? I think it would be fun to observe these auctions in action.

Justin with your baroques the luster seem pretty intense, is it due to a strong underlying body colour and thick nacre? How long are the oysters usually left in the water? Compare with Tahitian pearls? Sorry for all the questions still learning.

Hi Justin! Well, you asked for advice. I don't have advice, as I am strictly a consumer (although hubby is more inclined to describe me as an obsessive collector LOL). I do have 30 years of experience in sales and marketing fields (sadly NOT pearls ...) so as you asked, here are a few of my thoughts: In my mind these treasured pearls look and feel like something of rare and incredible value, in the same category as the best fine Gold South Sea and White South Sea pearls, Sea of Cortez pearls from Douglas and the very best Kamoka Tahitians from Josh. I feel that's where they belong, as opposed to "ordinary" Tahitian auctions etc. Now, I'd say that in order to be in that world, buyers have to be educated by marketing etc. to understand and believe exactly what these pearls are ... carefuly crafted, tendered with love, and a truly unique product that earns it's value and price as a rare treasure. So I think your great photos, website and print marketing are critical to educating your potential customers and driving the value. Even after reading here for a long time, when I saw the first commercial photos of J Hunter pearls, I had trouble believing those colors could be real versus dyed, and questioned here whether those who'd seen the pearls in person could vouch for the reality of the colors ... they did of course, with great enthusiasm. I've not had that experience ... yet :) Just a few of my musings, for whatever value might be there.

It's a good thing the bowl doesn't belong to me, because in truth, the pearls would live under my bed, to be brought out at sunset ... while I lived on free mangoes and clams scavenged off the beach LOL.

I agree with CathyKeshi re: educating buyers... I think consumers are more willing to pay a premium for products that are rare and unique, and/or "branded". So letting consumers (like me) know that your pearls are from special rare oysters (vs the more common Tahitians) and hence the very special colors would be great. Perhaps it means working with some retailers who are willing to educate their customers for you, getting interviews/features in jewellery magazines and targeted newspapers, and of course via your website for the more internet savvy customer?

You might consider working directly with some of the smaller vendors you know from here

- Karin

It probably all depends on your business model, as in, are you selling a rare, small volume, boutique item in which you would need to command a higher profit margin per pearl as you will be likely to sell fewer of them, versus, are you able to sell in quantity at a lower profit margin per pearl? I'd say that probably dictates not only how you market them, but where and how you sell them.

One other idea is that if you are selling them to big name designers, it would be ideal if they could have their all of their printed/online/tv advertising/sales copy reflect that these are Fiji pearls and not pastel Tahitians, as that would also likely drive demand up for them. Otherwise, to the untrained eye (like mine) they do look like uniquely coloured Tahitians, and people might be confused as to why they are not priced accordingly.

OK- I am a bit confused. I know last year when I fell in love with your pearls and asked Jeremy about them- I thought he said all your export pearls went to Gellner. Has that changed? It does seem to me that Gellner calls them Fiji Pearls, but I don't remember reading in their info that the pearls were specifically yours. We are mostly pearl fanatics on here, and yet, most of us did not realize that your oysters are different. So again, I would have to agree with the others that are saying to educate the public that you have a premium product. That is the only way to differentiate yourself from all the Tahitian pearls on the market. I don't think that is easy, either. In this economy a lot of people are price driven. Not impossible, though. So, maybe you should take a break from all the stress and give me your bowl of keshis to keep safe for you!! :)

I don't have advice for auctioning the pearls however I will say I agree with Pattye 100%. Your pearls are not from French Polynesia so why call them or associate them with Tahitian Pearls. Fiji has its own beauty, mystique and intrigue, why not capitalize on the beauty of that area and what it means for your special Fiji pearls. Brand awareness is everything these days…and Social Media Marketing is the latest frontier in creating brand awareness.

Cathykeshi is right, the colors are amazing and a distinguishing attribute. Additionally the one thing we know about the gem world location location location is everything to a gems heritage (and might I add price).

Bula everyone - very good morning to you all from Fiji. I have been a bit busy - sorry for the late reply.
Thank you all for the kind words and encouragement.

Yes - each country needs to learn to develop its own industry and and really try and "own it" - this is how we develop new and exciting products, this is how we "push the envelope", this is the evolution of pearling and pearls. Nothing can be more exciting then hearing that someone is working in a new region, with a new species / sub species, anything - the point is its new and exciting. And it is not easy! And people need to recognise and support this - or we will be seeing the same thing over and over again. Every show - everyone is looking for something new.

I have an appreciation for starting new pearl farms, in different places - not easy, the same techniques and methods used in one place will not work in another. And i've learned the hard way that Fiji (God bless my county - I do love it) does not have any type of institutions or experts in the field of pearling. Mortality issues were an "eye opener" in this regard - most pathologist with experience in pearl oysters (FP and Australia) have signed extensive confidentiality agreements with countries and industries they have worked in - so they really can't give you too much advice. And God I wish we had IFMER to call to help out. But this is part of what makes Fiji Pearls different - they are rare, we just cannot supply as many as we would like. And understanding that the market is pretty saturated means that seeing new entrants - will not happen often.

With that said - I am sorry to say but we have not sold many pearls into the US for years. I do ship exclusively to Gellner - last shipment of those lovely pearls went into Zurich. There are several reasons for this:
1) I met Jorg Gellner at Dubai Pearl Forum. - same year and time I met Jeremy Shepard - great trip. Too bad we were more concerned with Financial Crisis then pearls. After meeting him and learning about his "passion for pearls" he was invited to our auctions - still a funny joke, as i categorically would not invite him before.
2) He gets what we are about, he really gets this. Pearls are nice - don't get me wrong, but the story of where they come from, the communities, the jobs, the love, the beauty of the places..... its part of the story. He brings down about 30 of his clients every other year. They leave with an appreciation of what goes into making these pearls and the many jobs and people's live's that are better because of these pearls.
3) He was our best buyer at our auctions, after the first year (another good story).
4). Europe.... well you know is Europe, fashion, lots of cool stuff - people like new - bit of a "trend setting place in regards to style and fashion - "association" - is a term I believe in. I want Fiji Pearls to be the Rolex of Pearls - I know bit corny but I really believe they are special!

And another big reason: I am very well looked after in terms of what I get per gram or pearl - either way, probably better then any other producer in the world. So I am very thankful, very lucky.

Once I get these production issues sorted out - i am definitely going to start getting some of our pearls you'r way. In fact I have a couple ideas - that I am running through my head - working it out S L O W L Y - not the smartest pearl farmer you will meet - might be better looking.... then a lot of those old dude's though - just kidding.
Here are some more pics;
Not the fanciest, not the brightest, not the biggest, but pretty bloody cool. Love our pearls. Some of you have probably seen these before.
IMG_4808.jpg
Here is some of our jewellery we produce in Fiji - all locally made (not findings) but pearls, designs, work and love.
I know, I know ..... "some of those look Tahitian" - yep they do, Yes, I know - Jorg doesn't like those. And to be honest - we get Chinese Tourists and they actually prefer the "traditional colours" - yep, its true. We will produce significantly less in the coming years.
I would like to point out the tones - If i were to describe our pearls, I think I would call them "warm / earthy".
IMG_3401.JPG

I will try and post before I go to Hong Kong - I will keep checking and see if you guys have more questions. I do have a lot of funny stories - I tend to like to live and laugh.

So you guys keep asking - I will keep feeding you info.
Look after yourselves and remember ... ask for Fiji.
And thank you for being such gracious hosts -

Thanks guys - this has really been fun for me too!! Honestly - a bit shy. Having my name on the pearls - it just..... kinda makes me feel funny.

But now I have a question for you guys. Below is the tray of our Fiji Baroque's - I mean really zoom in and look at them. These left on the 28th of last month. I believe this picture contains:
1) under 12 mm 439 pcs at 694 grams
2) 12 mm and above 144 pcs at 300 grams (or something like that).
What are they worth?
Should my price be "dictated or influenced" by Tahiti Auction price?
Should I get value closer to White or Gold South Sea?

Or should i just say.... "screw them all" ...and keep them under my bed and look at them when I get up everyday, and show them to my friends while having drinks and watching the sunset?

Just want you to walk in my shoes - and give me some advice on how I can maximise these amazing gems. Because referring to these as "Tahiti" means people want to apply those prices to these - I would rather keep them under my bed.

Our auctions which we did for years in Japan with Aquatec International - was pretty fun. Honestly, looking at people's faces like Any Mueller, Alex Vock, Hajjar's, Jorg Gellner, Hahn, (team) Mikimoto........ and seeing them try and figure out where to start was hilarious (its like a high stakes poker game) - But trust me - they did not even know where to start bidding.!!! But, the point was at those auctions our base price was tied to Tahiti - we would do pretty good, but not good enough for my babies.

So give me some advice. Love it and thank you.
View attachment 36868

Hey - you finally signed up to the forum!

Asking about Mabe - We do, limited amounts using Peteria penquin.

We than have a pretty fantastic shell carver that works these into some pretty incredible pieces. They are pretty nice. This year we will really put some effort into this and scale this up. Shell by J. Hunter Pearls Fiji.

FullSizeRender 3.jpg
FullSizeRender 2.jpg
FullSizeRender.jpg

Some shots of our early auctions. These were really pretty successful - developed a bit of a "cult following" after the success of these auctions because of the unique product.
I would also talk to the invited guests about the farms, the culture of the farms, the people, and our own Environmental standards.
Here are some pics (they are not the best quality - over 5 years old).
DSC_0072.jpg
jh auction tray detail.jpg
In the "early days" we always tried to balance our harvests. Our unique colours were not accepted readily into Japan - so we always produced dark pearls - as we were not 100 % sure this was not just a passing Fad.
DSC_0059.jpg

DSC_0078.JPGWhat a waste of some good pearls - that strand is ugly!No83.jpg

Attachments

• CSCkeshi.JPG
    CSCkeshi.JPG
    29.5 KB · Views: 33
  • DSC_0019.jpg
    DSC_0019.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 30
What a waste of some good pearls - that strand is ugly!
LOL, Justin, you mean NO83? LOTS of potential there! Many of us do our own designing, restringing and would be figuring other ways to use those lovely pearls in our projects~we have no hesitation when it comes to restyling, replacing pearls in settings, adding gemstones, not necessarily staying with tradition.

Carved shell is beautiful and cool with the mabes!

This is a wonderful thread; your pearls are amazing, drop-dead gorgeous. And I love those Shell pendants!!! That is the coolest thing I've seen in while, and I'm sure it would sell well among younger people.

When I have a bit more time I will talk about how we start making changes to over all production, with regards to colour.. Its time to leave the darks, greys, and blacks. Sinking ship right now.
That will be a longer post this will be quick.
IMG_4368.JPG

This strand we have in our safe. But it is not even finished it is actually the start of a very long process. These large pearls and their brothers and sisters will not go into multicolour strands anymore (if we can take the time and loss of $'s).
We are going to embark on a new journey - multi's seem to have a "ceiling" we are slowly and painstakingly going to start putting together single tone strands of some of our unique Fiji colours.
This will take a while - but at least we have a good number of "bigs" in the safe. So we will be building them backwards. Not sure how long it will take to get our first one completed but it will be something.

Back