Fiji is being hit hard by Tropical Cyclone Winston

Yikes a lot of rebuilding work, luckily everyone there is safe. I remember visiting those exact places just last August. Sad though cause other parts of Fiji suffered more damage and there were casualties.

This is such a shame. I hope everyone is well, and that the damage can be repaired.

I can't help but wonder how this affects the winner of the free trip to Fiji. Did she go already? Or is the trip still in the future?

I would want to go in person to help, if it wasn't so far away. I hope there was not too much damage.

Thanks for starting this thread PD, and for the updates you guys.

I thought I read somewhere (maybe on PG) that the Hunters had a few different locations, inlets, even islets (?) for their growing. I hope it isn't foolish to hope that some fared a lot better than Savusavu.

Sigh. That was such a broad path, though...

Last edited:
This is such a shame. I hope everyone is well, and that the damage can be repaired.

I can't help but wonder how this affects the winner of the free trip to Fiji. Did she go already? Or is the trip still in the future?

She has not gone yet, she is still waiting on the US Gov't to finish updating her husband's passport.

Everyone else's passports are good to go, though - i wonder if they'd like to fly us out to help?! how much help we'd be, i don't know, but we could see what we can do! If nothing else, my 8 year old and i can entertain kids for a week while adults are off working on stuff...

This is heart-breaking to hear of the loss of life. My prayers to those that have suffered the loss of life in their families (be it human or animal) due to this disaster, and my thoughts are with those that are surviving and carrying on.

You are truly survivors, stay strong!

That's such a reassuring update on the health of the underwater reefs after Cyclone Winston ... thanks for posting Pattye. I do hope our friends at J Hunter Pearls have similar findings re. the health of their farm!

I really hope all the oysters (babies & older generations) have survived.

And yes, veeeery relieved to know that the reefs have survived ok. I've dove in Fiji more than a decade ago, and the pictures are even more stunning than I remembered. Now I really want to go again to go diving (and pearling)!

The Fiji underwater article "linked" to a few other diving related articles, including "The world’s best places for shark diving"...
OMG I am DYING to go to Cocos Island to see the hammer head migration, but don't think I would survive the 36hrs boat ride to get out there...

Just read the latest update; click link to see 5 new photos:

https://www.facebook.com/fijipearls/

"TC Winston brought sea surges upon our shores that did more destruction than the strong cat 5 winds. Our oyster hatchery on the hibiscus coast along with many homes took a beating. Justin and Sachin are currently working on a temporary location until we are able to rebuild."

Thanks for posting. Being a pearl farmer surely is a difficult life. I hope the rewards will come again very soon.

Bula every one,

Regarding Tropical Cyclone Winston, the devastation has been quite extensive in the north division where the 3 main farms are situated. As for us, my wife and I lost our house, but we are still walking ans so is our dogs. As for the farm, our implant shed in the water and a good portion of our collecting grid has been destroyed. Our pearl production will not be affected for 2016-2017 but there will be a dip in 2018 as oyster recruitment will be difficult this year. You can read our blog on the Winston's fury at http://civafijipearls.com/2016/03/09/tropical-cyclone-winston-surviving-the-fury/

Thanks

Claude Michel Prevost
owner/manager
Civa Fiji Pearls Ltd

Claude Michel thank you for the update and glad everyone including your pets are safe. What a frightening experience trapped in your bathroom and the wall and posts crashing all around you, the force of Cyclone Winston is extraordinary!

Back