Fiji is being hit hard by Tropical Cyclone Winston

Pearl Dreams

Pearl Enthusiast
http://www.cnn.com/2016/02/20/us/tropical-cyclone-winston-fiji/

"(CNN) The most powerful storm on record in the Southern Hemisphere slammed straight into Fiji late Saturday, delivering the first crushing blows of a pounding that is expected to last for days on the tiny island nation.

"The Joint Typhoon Warning Center estimated Tropical Cyclone Winston's winds reached 184 mph in the hours before it made landfall about 7 p.m. Saturday (2 a.m. ET)...

"The worst of the storm then went back out to sea, but only after wreaking havoc on the tourist hot spot with heavy flooding, rain and damaging winds. It could still end up hitting the South Pacific nation even more over the coming days...."

Oh no.... Hoping everyone and everything is safe!

This is so upsetting. My heart goes out to the people of Fiji.

Last edited:
Tragic and devastating, 10 deaths known so far, much flooding and property damage in the news videos. Communication hasn't been reestablished yet, it seems. Yes, the Hunters home is there, although I don't know how close to the farm(s). We will just have to wait for news. There have been no new posts from Leanne Hunter on FB since her remarks quoted on the other thread, nor anything from Justin on his J Hunter Pearls (FB) page.

Last edited:
Wow, thanks for the link Pattye-- I had not seen her comments. Scary for sure.
I hope the oysters are okay.

Has there been any updates from our friends in Fiji? :(
I truly hope people there are safe, regardless of the devastation.

From Leanne Hunter on FB today,
We all ok.house held strong. Lots of structural damage around s2 including our work property and parts of the farm. Power on in town today only. Lots of power poles down so be a while for rest of Savusavu including water. Big clean up ahead.

Lots of current news via google. Many relief efforts going on.

It's a relief to hear that they are ok and their house seems somewhat unscathed-- some solid good news.

Oh, thank heaven the Hunter family is safe ... update much appreciated Pattye. Please convey our prayers and well wishes Pattye.

Just got a message from Justin that it is a bit early to tell but it does not look good. Jetty gone, roof from warehouse gone, now they are going to check on the oysters.

Thanks for updates ... the few photos on Facebook look very distressing. If there is any way we can help Justin and family please let us know.

Thank goodness they are unhurt. Thanks for the update Pattye.

Back