Fed Ex delivery from us to Canada

Isabelle35

This questions is meant for the folks who have already ordered Pearls from US to Canada via FedEx. In addition to the shipping fee I paid, I was unplesantly charged with an additionnal 45$ (Taxes, ROD fee). What is ROD fee? It is detailed here, I dont see any duties were charged. I have ordered stuff several times from the US and never experienced any additionnal fees with USPS, wich I like by far.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 45
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 47
The shipping company will charge a brokerage fee for putting your shipment through customs and paying the fee upfront. That may be the ROD fee

Looked it up, and found this:

Why am I being charged a Reimbursement on Delivery (ROD) Fee?
The ROD fee is charged to customers who do not have a FedEx account number or who do not have a FedEx account in good credit or standing. This fee is collected from the recipient at the time of delivery, in addition to any duties and taxes that may be applicable. See the current ROD Fee at the Ancillary Clearance Services page.
NOTE: You can avoid having to pay the ROD Fee by opening a FedEx account with a credit card.​

You can read about it on the
FedEx page.
(On the Recepient Info tab)

Well with an account they will simply charge it to my credit card. Pointless. The question is why no extra fees of any sort via USPS? And have other fellow canadians experience the same situation with Fed Ex? Is this standard? Thank you for replying :D

Well with an account they will simply charge it to my credit card. Pointless. The question is why no extra fees of any sort via USPS? And have other fellow canadians experience the same situation with Fed Ex? Is this standard? Thank you for replying :D

Brokerage fees are commonplace with couriers. They are accepting responsibility to Canada Customs for importing goods on behalf of the consignee so it stands to reason there would be a fee for the service. Sending things US Mail to Canada Post does not have a brokerage fee, but is often held longer for inspection.

With a FedEx account, you are not charged the brokerage fee, only the shipping fee (possibly a minor Customs handling fee as well). This is because with a credit card, the consignee is established and liable for the contents of the package.

Thanks Dave. Guess I will try that for my next order involving Fed Ex. It's still an irritant for customers...

I HATE buying things that are sent by courier! (I am in Vancouver, BC, and buy a lot from the US on Ebay, Etsy, Ruby Lane). Sometimes the "bargain" price is completely wiped out by the time all these other fees are added in. Weird thing is, it seems to be entirely hit or miss as to when you are charged for them! I would say one in three times I pay customs on items I SHOULD pay customs on (and sometimes I pay customs on items I SHOULDNT, like used jewelry or clothing, supposed to be exempt). Sometimes there are brokerage fees, sometimes not. It's crazy! United States Postal Service is my preferred method - I try to get everything sent by them (plus if I'm not home, it goes to the post office, I don't play the "tag" game like the courier companies do).

Jodie

Yes Jodie, you feel me! This is exactly my point of view and what I have been experiencing. I also shop alot via eBay, etsy etc and USPS has also been my prefered postal service for the same reasons. Thanks for sharing!

If I can keep my packages under 1,000 then I pay no customs duty on anything that I bring into Australia. However my last two strands cost me $55.00 brokerage fee from Fed Ex and 220$ duty. :mad: The bugger is that if I go over the 1,000 by even 10$ then the fees are all due on the entire 1,010.00 not just the amount over the 1,000.

I've sent things to the US using just the post office and it's not been stopped for duty....maybe I've just been lucky. Now I'm wondering what the duty would be for someone as I've got 7 necklaces I'll need to send over in the next few weeks.

Back