Expert opinions needed. Tahitians?

I very much appreciate all the feedback! Not only did it save me money, but the outcome is very good. FYI, I shifted my funds to the PP Tahitian sale and bought a very lovely strand of baroque pearls. My first non round pearls!!!!

The long and short is she brought it back to the jeweler with the thread from PG and demanded an Xray or for them to break a pearl. The manager refunded her money in the form of a store credit, which makes her happy, although it did take several hours and many phone calls.

They swear up and down they did not know the pearls weren't Tahitian. The funny thing is the store is a national very high end jeweler. You would think they would be more cautious, but I suppose much of the blame would fall on the uneducated sales folks behind the counter.

In any event, she did correct me on her price. She paid 3500 for the strand and 1500 for the matching earrings and bracelet. She was refunded the entire 5K and is happily picking out a "divorce diamond".

All is well that ends well!!!

You would think a reputable, high-end national chain is more organized than that. First, the distribution center should know the source of the pearls and its type. Then the classification of product is done there, or if not, way before it reached the individual store location. Even if the sales folks are uneducated regarding their products, it's the distribution center's fault for tagging the wrong product on the strand erroneously or intentionally.

I've read this whole thread with great interest. It's great to hear of the satisfactory outcome! But on the issue of the diamond, I agree with Pearlesence - given the previous situation, whatever she buys had better be a graded stone - AGS, GIA - and have them put it under their giant 40x loupe machine (if they're that large and "reputable" they should have one. Don't settle for the salesperson's wimpy 10x loupe - finding the inscription at 10x is extremely difficult) and SHOW her the number inscribed on the girdle. Then get to an independent appaiser ASAP. I wouldn't be trusting them as far as I could thow them. An in-store credit is not a refund and means they still took her money under false pretenses. I'd be extremely wary from here on out.

Great story Annie!

I'm happy for your purchase and your friend's persistance. I do agree with those above that the diamond purchase should be done with some caution. The jeweler may not provide an independant cert. like EGL or GIA, if the company has a lab of their own. If they don't I would suggest that she get an idependant appraisal and be make sure that she understands what kind of return policy they have. Definitly something to do ASAP.

Thanks again for the great story!

She ended up with a GIA cert diamond which she is happily wearing around her neck, although she said she will never shop with that store again. Too bad for them, she was a really good customer!!!

I am still waiting for my PP Tahitian strand to arrive and hindsight being 20-20, I am happy her strand wasn’t Tahitian. For about the same money I would have paid to her, I was able to get a new LV and a baroque strand from PP.

I was reading this thread with great interest. I have a question.

Is it unethical to sell dyed FW pearls?

I am asking this b'coz good tahitians are so highly priced that they cost fortune. Dyed pearls comes close second but thy r affordable to middle class.

Hi bluesea,

It is true that there is a difference in cost. No, I don't think it is unethical to sell dyed cultured freshwater pearls. But they should be called what they are and it should be disclosed that they are dyed (treated). I dislike when CFWP are call Tahitian black as a color discription. I think peacock is a more appropriate description, and telling the overtone colors. Plus good photos, if buying online.

Right now circumstances in the market are very favorable for buying Tahitians. There is info about that on the Tahitian thread.

Lovely baroque Tahitians have been available from some of our members here who have online stores for approximately $500 and less too. Some unfinished strands were even less. So I wouldn't call that a fortune, would you?http://www.pearlparadise.com/Baroque-Tahitian-Pearl-Strands345.aspx

Last edited:
No, it is not wrong, of course, to sell dyed freshwaters. But it is wrong to describe them as Tahitians.
Over here it would be a false trade description and the Trading Standards Officer and then a Magistrate could talk to you

thanks pattye and pearlescence

Ur reply is enlightening. Ur generosity enhanced my audacity to ask few more questions. Hope you won't mind :)

Is there various methodologies for dying pearls? If yes, what is the best method and how to identify it from buyers view point?

Do they dye Aqua and south sea, too????

bluesea,

Here is a summary of some of the treatments and different kinds of pearls. As you read about the different kinds of pearls there will be more details about this sort of thing.

Akoyas: bleached generally and "pinked" some now available in natural colors and untreated.

South Sea: Lots of discussion about secret treatments, Some golden south sea are being dyed a deeper, more desirable color--would pretty much need an expert to detect.

Sea of Cortez: No treatment or dye

Freshwater: Some bleached, many dyed, many natural colors, huge variety of quality, shapes, sizes.

I don't recall that there is much specific information here about dying pearls commercially. Dying pearls has been done a long time in China. Buyers should purchase from reliable sources, who disclose treatments. Every buyer is different in what they want.

There is no substitute for looking closely at lots and lots of pearls, and over time one becomes familiar with natural colors, types of pearls, etc. Looking at pearls with magnification can help one "see" qualities better also!

I am not sure what you mean about "Aqua" pearls?

What kinds of pearls are you most familiar with? Do you work with pearls? You can spend many months reading here and learn a lot! :)

I have been reading here almost daily for over 4 years and still have lots to learn and much curiosity about new information!

Last edited:
@ pattye

thanks again. I wrongly wrote Akoya as Aqua :D.

I am not very familiar with pearl. But I am exploring them b'coz i want to start a business exclusively on pearls. :). But before that I must know little bit about pearls. I think i am at the right place to learn. :)

Back