Exotics!!!

So Jeremy, out of 1,600 metric tons: what percentage turns out to be metallic, gem quality? If that is quantifiable?

It would be very difficult to quantify. First you would have to determine the percentage of true rounds. Second, the percentage of metallics in those true rounds. If true rounds were 0.1% of production and metallic pearls were 0.05% of rounds, that number would be small. I am really only guessing on it. The bag of rounds we picked up in Weitang was five kilo, and there were not enough metallic pearls for a full strand.

I don't see an incentive for most farmers to form a union. They are just so small - there are thousands of mom and pop farmers.

I don't see an incentive for most farmers to form a union. They are just so small - there are thousands of mom and pop farmers.

And wouldn't a communist government get grumpy about such a thing?

That stuff aside, I just wanted to drop in here and say that I had the fortune to get a sneak preview of the exotics. They are really different and had me rethinking my ideas about freshwater pearls. I have a feeling they are going to be gone in a hurry :eek:

They are really different and had me rethinking my ideas about freshwater pearls.

Josh... that's almost heresy, coming from you, isn't it?

Re exotics.... I am not sure what Jeremy's experience is, but on my recent buying trips the exotics are there to be found, but they certainly take some finding! Interesting that Jeremy says that they (ha and Doug) sorted through baskets of pearls to find ones with metallic lustre. I am not seeing metallics separated from others of similar size and quality - there are pairs around, but when it comes to loose pearls, the metallics are in the barrel as part of a mix. An exotic strand (as J's photo attests) would be pretty unique, and take some collecting!

Last edited:
Does anyone have a comparison picture of an exotic strand next to a "normal" multicoloured FW pearl strand?

We made a strand and a couple of pairs. This one is going to be cut up, though. We are going to go just a bit thicker on the silk.

What color would you call that delicious green one in the center?

ETA: How do you quote a picture? It's post 203 on p. 14.

Back