Ebay Tomato Pearls

bpeluso,

They look like plain old FW "potato" shaped pearls to me. What does anyone else think????

Ash

Hi,

Since the pearls are squishy and somewhat rounded, I think the seller wants to indicate that the shape is more reminiscent of tomatos than potatos.

Zeide

I'd call it more of a button pearl.

Also, It does not have much luster. If you get what's in the picture, for .99, it still cost $13 for shipping and insurance. That is awfully high unless you get, say 10 strands for the same shipping, and 10 strands of such lack luster pearls would be an awful lot.

This is not a good deal- You can do better in a retail bead store that carries gem show pearls.

I have gotten so I don't even look at the Chinese stuff on Ebay. First, if the piece is beautiful, the picture is probably one of Zeide's collection and not a picture of what you'll get- second, the shipping costs really add up for one strand, but its not set up to get 10 strands for the auction- so I generally filter the Chinese out. They have a filter for US only and for North America only. I wish eBay had a filter to screen out Asian sources!

Hi, Zeide, and Caitlyn,

Sounds like it is just a name thing only, I have purchsed "Potato" that look just like this and that is what they were called on the tag....

Wait for it........

However I have also purchased "Button" pearls that have looked like this and some very different.

Tomato, tomata, potato, patata I guess.....

Ash....

It just goes to show that cultured fwpearls grow on a continuum of shapes between round and button. I have a strand I call "pillows" or "puffs" that are uniquely shaped and well-matched for shape, but unlike any others I've seen.

Last edited:
Shape of freshwaterpearls on Ebay

Shape of freshwaterpearls on Ebay

Tomato, Potato, buttons - they look like corn-shaped freshwaterpearls! Anyway listen to what our members tell you : don´t buy from Ebay. We have a lot of online-sellers that are members on this forum - where you can get exactly the quality you wish for and pay for. They are decent, have good return-conditions if the need should arise - and they won´t charge you a shipping cost that exceeds the price of the whole strand!

Jerin:rolleyes:

I totally agree with Jerin! do NOT buy from E-bay.. not just pearls either andy Jewelry that looks too good to be true.. Usually is... and with them "you do get what you pay for".... usually cheap prices = junk!
Upon teh VERY rare occasion somethign good may come of it...

Just MHO

Ash

online sellers

online sellers

jerin said:
Tomato, Potato, buttons - they look like corn-shaped freshwaterpearls! Anyway listen to what our members tell you : don?t buy from Ebay. We have a lot of online-sellers that are members on this forum - where you can get exactly the quality you wish for and pay for. They are decent, have good return-conditions if the need should arise - and they won?t charge you a shipping cost that exceeds the price of the whole strand!

Jerin:rolleyes:

Jerin, I am very new to this site. How would I find out which members are retailers?

Also, please let me know if you have any links of reputable websites.

Online-sellers - members of this forum

Online-sellers - members of this forum

Just to mention some of them:

Pearl Paradise, Pearls by Angela Carrol, Pearls and Jade, The Pearl Outlet, Selectraders uk.com, Cortez Pearls and the list goes on - these are the companies that come to my mind in a hurry.

The giant one is Pearl Paradise who has incredible freshwaterpearls to offer, called "Freshadamas". Any one of thes companies mentioned are honest dealers and have very good prices.

Otherwise I just would like you to read the different sections about different types of pearls. Than You should have a big range from which to choose.

Don´t forget to read our experts posts and threads, there you can learn a lot......

Good luck and let us know how it goes......

jerin:)

P.s.: the links you can see reading the name and adress below the threads or posts.
If uncertain, choose the companyname.com - that will get you to pearlheaven....D.S.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back