Need Advice... Best Pearls & Reputable Online Dealers

It's a good idea to buy the earrings and bracelet at the same time even if there is not special pricing, because then they can match the tone better.

Akoya pearls don't really get larger than 10mm, and at those sizes are relatively scarcer and very pricey in top qualities. The reason is that akoya oysters are small and can't tolerate a larger bead nucleus (which is placed in the gonad). South sea pearl oysters are huge and can produce very large pearls! 20mm and larger.

Hanadama pearls are top quality pearls that have been sent to the Pearl Science Lab in Japan for certification. They must meet certain minimum criteria for luster, nacre thickness, cleanliness of surface, and iridescence. 18" strands and loose pairs are certified. I don't think bracelets are; you might need to buy a AAA bracelet instead. (Edit: I seem to have been wrong about hanadama bracelets as obviously there are bracelets for on the PP website!)

Or you could buy a full hanadama strand and have a 2-strand bracelet made from it. Extra pearls, if any, could be made into dangle earrings (for when the baby is older.)
Alternatively you could have it strung as 2 segments, with 2 identical clasps, so it could either be worn as a bracelet or, by connecting the 2 segments end to end, as a necklace.
I'm sure there are even more options.

Virtually all akoya pearls are routinely first bleached (to remove naturally occurring discolorations) and then pinked by soaking in a dye solution. This is done at the factories and is not considered a treatment that has to be disclosed. The pinking is very subtle and the pearls look white against the skin. Natural White Hanadama pearls are not subjected to the same kind of bleaching and they are also not pinked. They are whiter looking. The ones I have seen photos of (I have not seen them in person) have gorgeous pink and blue overtones. See the photos in this thread (click on it): Hanadama pearls from Pearl Paradise.com

You could ask for side by side photos of the natural white hanandamas and the regular (pinked) hanadamas.
Or side by side hanadama and AAA to get an idea of how they compare.

Just a comment about bracelets: They tend to get banged around more than earrings or necklaces. If this bracelet will be worn every day, solid nacre freshwater pearls may be preferable. I personally don't wear pearl bracelets much because they'd be dragging all over my desk as I type, getting wet as I cook and clean etc. I would only put a pearl bracelet on to go out. But that's me.

Last edited:
I have both pinked and natural hanadama studs, both from Pearl paradise. You can see the difference between the two.

Attachments

• 20180715_152048.jpg
    20180715_152048.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 81
It's a good idea to buy the earrings and bracelet at the same time even if there is not special pricing, because then they can match the tone better.
You'll probably not be surprised at how many emails we get saying 'remember that necklace I bought last year ? Now I'd like earrings to match'

Pearl Shrinkage Syndrome - Ha-ha! now I understand! And agreed!

If you look at my Natural White Hanadama akoya pearl strand midway on page 3 of that thread, you'll see two more photos, one in indirect light, where they glow like they are lit from within and a photo in direct sunlight. That will give you a better idea of the coloration. I will never regret purchasing them. You can trust Pearl Paradise when it comes to Hanadama grade pearls. There are some online sellers out there that have faked certificates in order to sell lesser goods.

The natural white pearls come from a special relationship with a pearl farming operation in Japan. They are remarkable. That said, the metallic white freshwater pearls are also wonderful and more affordable. :)

Akoya pearls don't really get larger than 10mm, and at those sizes are relatively scarcer and very pricey in top qualities. The reason is that akoya oysters are small and can't tolerate a larger bead nucleus (which is placed in the gonad). South sea pearl oysters are huge and can produce very large pearls! 20mm and larger.

Hanadama pearls are top quality pearls that have been sent to the Pearl Science Lab in Japan for certification. They must meet certain minimum criteria for luster, nacre thickness, cleanliness of surface, and iridescence. 18" strands and loose pairs are certified. I don't think bracelets are; you might need to buy a AAA bracelet instead.

Or you could buy a full hanadama strand and have a 2-strand bracelet made from it. Extra pearls, if any, could be made into dangle earrings (for when the baby is older.)
Alternatively you could have it strung as 2 segments, with 2 identical clasps, so it could either be worn as a bracelet or, by connecting the 2 segments end to end, as a necklace.
I'm sure there are even more options.

Virtually all akoya pearls are routinely first bleached (to remove naturally occurring discolorations) and then pinked by soaking in a dye solution. This is done at the factories and is not considered a treatment that has to be disclosed. The pinking is very subtle and the pearls look white against the skin. Natural White Hanadama pearls are not subjected to the same kind of bleaching and they are also not pinked. They are whiter looking. The ones I have seen photos of (I have not seen them in person) have gorgeous pink and blue overtones. See the photos in this thread (click on it): Hanadama pearls from Pearl Paradise.com

You could ask for side by side photos of the natural white hanandamas and the regular (pinked) hanadamas.
Or side by side hanadama and AAA to get an idea of how they compare.

Just a comment about bracelets: They tend to get banged around more than earrings or necklaces. If this bracelet will be worn every day, solid nacre freshwater pearls may be preferable. I personally don't wear pearl bracelets much because they'd be dragging all over my desk as I type, getting wet as I cook and clean etc. I would only put a pearl bracelet on to go out. But that's me.

After messing with my wife under the assumption the kids might want to buy something for Christmas or if I were to go any kind of route for our anniversary what type & size jewelry she'd like to get I found out that the 8mm is definitely more the size she's wanting when it would come down to it! So the Hanadama pearls would be in line with that from a size perspective.

As for a bracelet she really won't be wearing any if much jewelry at all to work. She works in a pediatrician's office so it's kids everywhere all the time! Earrings are about as much as she could wear. So the bracelet would be safe to assume for going out or weekends really and not getting overly beaten around!!

So far everything seems to be coming together!! I'll definitely try to call a vendor or two tomorrow and go from there!!

Thank you for all the continued advice!!!

I have both pinked and natural hanadama studs, both from Pearl paradise. You can see the difference between the two.

Do you think one looks better than the other or is that a personal preference type question? I can see the difference though! Thank you for sharing!!

You'll probably not be surprised at how many emails we get saying 'remember that necklace I bought last year ? Now I'd like earrings to match'

I'm sure that's an overly frequent comment and you guys are left in the dark rolling the dice or shaking the magic 8 ball trying to remember asking for pictures!!!

If you look at my Natural White Hanadama akoya pearl strand midway on page 3 of that thread, you'll see two more photos, one in indirect light, where they glow like they are lit from within and a photo in direct sunlight. That will give you a better idea of the coloration. I will never regret purchasing them. You can trust Pearl Paradise when it comes to Hanadama grade pearls. There are some online sellers out there that have faked certificates in order to sell lesser goods.

The natural white pearls come from a special relationship with a pearl farming operation in Japan. They are remarkable. That said, the metallic white freshwater pearls are also wonderful and more affordable. :)

Thanks for directing me to those pictures! They look gorgeous thanks for sharing!

Do you think one looks better than the other or is that a personal preference type question? I can see the difference though! Thank you for sharing!!

I find that since my skintone is very, very pale with a lot of pink undertones I wear the pinked ones for a more casual look and the natural white when I want the earrings to stand out more or if I'm wearing something a little more fancy. That's completely personal preference though. If your wife has a different skin tone that may be the other way around for her.

Cory- I personally agree on the hanadama Akoyas. They have incredible luster and quality.They will go with everything you could possibly buy her forever. I wear my akoyas with freshwaters and South Sea. I have beautiful big AAA South Sea studs from Pearl Paradise and though I love them, when I first opened them up, I was slightly disappointed because I did not realize that the luster would be more muted and satiny. I wanted reflective luster.
Working in a professional office, 8 mm is great and she will wear them daily. Let us know how it all turns out.

Cory- I personally agree on the hanadama Akoyas. They have incredible luster and quality.They will go with everything you could possibly buy her forever. I wear my akoyas with freshwaters and South Sea. I have beautiful big AAA South Sea studs from Pearl Paradise and though I love them, when I first opened them up, I was slightly disappointed because I did not realize that the luster would be more muted and satiny. I wanted reflective luster.
Working in a professional office, 8 mm is great and she will wear them daily. Let us know how it all turns out.

Awesome thank you for the advice! I'm certainly I think looking to make the original statement with something like the Akoyas which sound like your "idea" of what a pearl should or would look like so to say off the front. After buying these initial ones it will open up the conversation of other looks and sizes for other occasions. Larger south seas if she'd want a pair for a particular reason, the Tahitians or other colors, along with possibly other non-round pearls.

I great appreciate everyone's help!!

Cory, South Sea Pearls are marvelous. You can purchase pearls on-line that are better quality than retail jewelry stores. Personally, I like at least a 10 mm. I have done business with Pearl Paradise for years and have been at their offices in CA. You will find pearl earrings that will make your wife swoon!

Alright... as an update... just placed my order for an 8.0mm-8.5mm Natural White Hanadama pearl bracelet and pearl stud earrings from Pearl Paradise!?! :eek::eek:

I guess now it's time to wait and see what they look like when they get here!!!

Cory0729, you've come to the right place for help with your wonderful gift project for your wife! As you mention a possible bracelet, I have one more idea for you to consider. A Tin Cup style bracelet, with sections of gold chain (white or yellow) separated by pearls on the chain. Comfortable, easy to wear, a bit more modern, can withstand a bit more water as there's no knots and thread. I love mine. If she likes it and loves wearing pearls, future gifts could include a full bracelet and necklace strand with matching clasps, so she could mix and match for different looks!

I'm traveling and can't post, but perhaps one of my PG friends could post a tin cup bracelet or link to an existing thread?

Back