Does Tahitian Pearl comes in Jet Black?

kennlct

first time poster here,
I just start collecting Tahitian Pearl for 2 months
Got a ring from pearlparadise.com and it's jet black in color.
All the other Tahitian pearl I got is more like a dark green with color shifted.
I have never seen a jet black one before so I want to see if anyone here can give me a hand on identifying if this is a Tahitian pearl or not? Thanks in advance!

20181222_143111.jpg

Pearl Paradise is reliable, so the question is: Did you buy a Tahitian or an akoya pearl for the ring?

It looks to me like maybe a packing error occurred and you were sent a black akoya in that setting instead of the Tahitian you ordered. Looking on PP I see that akoyas are also sold in the Capture collection setting.
I'd send it back.

Last edited:
kennlct, welcome. I love the setting of the ring.

Thanks for all the replies! I will contact pp and try to get thing sorted out.

The ring came back in and it turns out I was mistaken. The pearl in the ring in the photo is indeed a Tahitian pearl. It's a very dark Tahitian pearl and not a black akoya pearl. Once we saw it in person we knew, but pulled it off the post to check for certain.

The pearls on the right are Tahitians, the left are black akoya. The pearl in front of the ring is the pearl pulled off.

Attachments

• Dark Tahitian pearl.jpg
    Dark Tahitian pearl.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 42
Now those are dark Tahitians! I can't tell the difference between the two groups in the photo, and my iMac monitor is pretty good.

Interesting, and I agree that it would be difficult to determine unless viewing in person.

I also want to say that Jeremy, you are a great example of best practices when it comes to managing an issue; great customer service matters. Bottom line is, as always, know and trust your source...we're all human and sometimes honest mistakes are made...but when it comes down to it, being honest and open are qualities that create a valued reputation. Owning mistakes is part of running a successful business. Had this truly been a mistake, Jeremy demonstrated the proper way to handle the situation.

Back