CPAA Future Fashionista

jshepherd

I just received this letter sent out by the Cultured Pearl Association of America. It was sent to the association from N. Lange.

Future Fashionista Letter.jpg

Indeed. I recall a thread where a customer of hers had shown extraordinary patience - don't remember the outcome.
I'm surprised that the credit card companies have not pulled her merchant account.

Jeremy,
Can I post this letter in the "other" forum as well as effenhaute?

If anyone can tell me who N Lange is, and what further info he might need.....perhaps we can help.

Elana is fine and well, per her posts and blogs about recent chicken-breeding venture.

Last edited:
I imagine the letter can be posted elsewhere. It was sent in an email blast to all CPAA members, so it is out there now I'm sure. As for the JBT, I am familiar with one of the pending cases and I know it began with collections from JBT, so they do know about the situation. I'm not sure whether they accept consumer complaints. The JBT is here to protect jewelers. The JVC, on the other hand, may accept consumer complaints.

Last edited:
I imagine the letter can be posted elsewhere. It was sent in an email blast to all CPAA members, so it is out there now I'm sure. As for the JBT, I am familiar with one of the pending cases and I know it began with collections from JBT, so they do know about the situation. I'm not sure whether they accept consumer complaints. The JBT is here to protect jewelers. The JVC, on the other hand, may accepy consumer complaints.

Thank you for your response, JShepard.

JVC - does accept consumer complaints. However, there is a $100 fee to file a complaint.

Wow. I did not know that. I know there is the BBB too and I don't think they charge anything.

May I ask, what is the complaint about?

There was a complaint filed against Elana/FF w/ the WI BBB, but she is not registered, and it was not responded to. But, is on file.
There could be many complaints. I think most buyers of FF who have not received merch, have managed to recup funds via CC chargebacks. But there have been some complaints posted as to inferior merchandise (claimed bench-made, but from Asia, per the jewelers/appr who looked at them) and some claim that the actual carat weight of some items does not match the accompanying documentation. And some of these items were purchased years back.
TBH, I think some past buyers who are having issues really don't know what to do. And, as there are already civil suits filed, more of same may be further difficult as to recovering any monetary judgment. Perhaps.

ETA: Mr Lange mentions the exact same type complaints... as if her buyers have been contacting him...?

Last edited:
This does highlight the different consumer regimes in America and Europe. Here (at least in the UK) we have Trading Standards depts of every local council who will investigate all these sorts of complaints. If I apply a false trade description to anything I sell (different carat of gold, different size of pearl, different weight of precious metal) that is their concern and it can end up in a criminal prosecustion and they can shut me down.
They also enforce pricing rules so if I put something on sale it must have been offered previously at the higher price for a period of time and I can't just say ' worth ?xxx my price 1/3?xxx'
Customer to business there is the small claims process in the local civil courts as well for the recovery of money.

I've read through the threads on the three sites discussing the situation and it is sad and depressing, not to mention very confusing.

On a side note, and those of you who read other forums will understand what this is about, Callire was never, in any way whatsoever, affiliated with any pearl vendors (unless buying pearls means one is affiliated). She was and is (although she has not posted in quite a while) a valued member on this forum. Her only affiliation here is her membership like anyone else that posts and loves to talk about pearls.

I wish Callire would come back! She was doing such a good job on the other forum, until Elana jumped all over her and tried to present herself as the only one who could talk pearl on that forum. Many others came to Elana's defense at the time, but now she is out of there-and so is Callire!

I wish Callire would come back! She was doing such a good job on the other forum, until Elana jumped all over her and tried to present herself as the only one who could talk pearl on that forum. Many others came to Elana's defense at the time, but now she is out of there-and so is Callire!

I've read many of Callire's posts on both this forum and the "other". Elana was a "highly-favored member", and pretty much NO ONE could take offense with her. I read the statement made about Callire, and knew that it was untrue when it was posted. And I sincerely hope that none of THAT nonsense has anything to do w/ Callire not being active HERE at present.

Elana was a regular poster on The Purse Forum. She isn't a member there any more. When things started to surface (complaints about merchandise not being on the up and up and complaints over non-receipt of paid merchandise) the owners and moderators banned her.

I have a question - Elana states on her FF website that she "has over 20 years of experience in the pearl industry and is a Graduate of Pearls through the Gemological Institute of America (GIA) Graduate Pearls Gemology program" It has been confirmed via GIA that she did obtain a "Certificate of Pearls in 07/09". Can someone please explain to me specifically what is a "certificate of Pearls", and what this means as far as education and knowledge level?

TIA

Back