CPAA anounces International Pearl Design Competition WINNERS

boperrycpaa

The Cultured Pearl Association of America
Winners of the 2010
International Pearl Design Contest

Providence, RI –October 21, 2010
Francis Mastoloni, President of the Cultured Pearl Association of America, Inc. proudly announces the winners of the CPAA’S first International Design competition. “We are very happy with the success of our first competition, entries from 9 countries we received” Mr. Mastoloni reported.

President’s Trophy: “South Sea Glow” Adam Neeley of Laguna Beach, CA
The highest honor awarded to a design that unanimously captivated judges as the best of the best.

Luster Award- “The Untouchable” Pearlotica Design Team of Honolulu, HI and “Sea of Love” Philip Dismuke for Jewelsmith of Durham, NC given to the entry that is judged “most marketable” of all the entries in the competition. This design will have the most overall appeal for the retail marketplace.

Designer’s Award- “Spiral Earrings” Zoltan David of Bee Cave, TX given to the entry that takes pearls to the far corners of the imagination and beyond (originality).

Brilliance Award- “Gem of the Sea” Joel Green, Imperial Pearl of East Providence, RI given to the entry that best illustrates the spectrum of pearl colors in the most beautiful way.

Orient Award- “Aurora Eclipse” Anil Maloo, Baggins Inc. of Los Angeles, CA the award given to the entry that would inspire a new found affinity in someone for cultured pearls.

The Visionary Award- “The Black Maze” Kaoru Kristy Endo of Hong Kong the entry that re-defines the iconic pearl strand and shifts the perception of cultured pearls for today’s buyer.
Wedding Day Pearls- “Carved Lace” Elizabeth Blair of Harbor Springs, MI and Massimo Sanalitro of Milan Italy Brides and pearls are synonymous. Create a “fantasy wedding” theme with pearls.

Commendations’ given to entries that demonstrate the high standards of achievement, in accordance with the judging criteria:

Gail Kowalski of Nags Head, North Carolina
Giuseppe Lombardo of Portland, Maine
Linda Quinn of Strafford, Missouri
Gabriel Ofiesh of Charlottesville, Virginia
Trish Kennedy of Blue Springs, Missouri
Julia Behrends of East Peoria, Illinois
Alejandra Solomone of Bisbee, Arizona
Nina Basharova of New York, New York
Elayne Lin of Taipei, Taiwan
Ronil Magdaraog of Albany Province, Philippines
Brenda Smith of Woodstock, Georgia
Evelyn Huang of Los Angeles, California
Deborah Duval of Kailua, Hawaii
Sumit Jain of Amritsar, India
Holly Consol of Livermore, California

This first edition of the IPDC was truly International in scope. Entries from nine countries were received.

To view pictures of all the winners please use these links;

President Award Winner

Luster Award Winner 01
Luster Award Winner 02
Designer Award Winner
Orient Award Winner
Brilliance Award Winner
Wedding Day Winner
Visionary Award Winner

The Cultured Pearl Association of America, Inc is a non profit group founded in 1957, comprised of the finest manufacturers, wholesalers, dealers and suppliers of Cultured Pearls in the United States.

Our intention is to "cultivate" awareness, interest, demand and successful marketability of Cultured Pearls for the retail community and the consumer level. Through promotion, education, public relations and unwavering commitment we aim to inspire an authentic passion for all Cultured Pearl varieties.

For more information contact
Bo Perry at 888-31-PEARL or 401-432-9990
boperry@cpaa.org
Please visit www.cpaa.org

Last edited:
It's a "cocoon" necklace. A mesh support is wound with precious metal, or like mine, is wrapped with stainless steel (but has a 22k clasp). I bought mine from Down East.

Thanks Pattye it's a very cool pearl

Most of it looked rather over-designed, I thought, very fiddly stuff - all the detail on the top ring - who would see it? I liked the baroque colourful pearl ring though. But then I like simple designs.

Most of it looked rather over-designed, I thought, very fiddly stuff - all the detail on the top ring - who would see it? I liked the baroque colourful pearl ring though. But then I like simple designs.

Agreed- it looked like some of the designers forgot that it was the pearl that was supposed to be center stage. :/
I did like the Luster 2 pearl earrings, and the President's Award seems to have gotten the spirit of the competition right, but on the whole I've seen much more gorgeous designs posted by others here that I would spend top dollar for, anyday. :D

Agreed- it looked like some of the designers forgot that it was the pearl that was supposed to be center stage. :/

Just what I was thinking, the first one has the pearl totally hidden, really it doesn't even make sense to be part of that ring. I liked the others though, some beautiful pieces.

Overall, they are nice items...but the "Luster Award Winner 1"...well, looks like he was trying hard to hide the pearl. Where is the beauty in that??? Buy a nice pearl and then you don't have to hide it!
I liked the "President's" choice, it reminds me of some designs made by Carlos Cabral.

Agreed- it looked like some of the designers forgot that it was the pearl that was supposed to be center stage. :/ on the whole I've seen much more gorgeous designs posted by others here that I would spend top dollar for, anyday. :D

I agree. I liked the simple spiral earrings by Zoltan David of Texas, though. Also the ring showing the "full spectrum of colors"Gem of the Sea, by Joel Green, Imperial Pearl.

my fave is the second Luster Award winner. I would so wear those earrings. ; )

62851_1379153571788_1620369395_909464_2404818_n.jpg
[/IMG]

Yes i do have one more image, however it is at the office. It was made for my stepmother charlotte, I would be happy to have her bring it in and i will take another shot. It is pretty special considering the pearl is tissue nucleated...in person the color is very pretty.

Back