Color graduated Vietnamese Akoya pearls-a possibility?

suzannelowrie

To continue talking about the color-graduated pink Akoya pearls that I saw on Mikimoto's island, the reason they were so so impressive was the stunning work in color graduation. Sure, the strand started out as very bright pink pearls in the middle, but the pink pearls faded in color very gently- there were (perhaps) 16 or more different shades of pink. The colors unfolded gracefully like a fan. Who can produce such a wonderful necklace? Someone who controls production and can hire one person to comb through the harvest and color grade the pink pearls, setting aside sixteen (or more) different plastic boxes and gradually filling them over time with AAA rounds in different tones. I'll be in Vietnam July 22 through July 26. I will ask if the yellow AAA round Akoya pearls could be color graded. Nobody wants them. No market. Maybe, just maybe, they would look nice if they were color-graduated. Of course, the CEO will laugh in my face. Think of the labor involved! But, I'll argue the point. Is he selling any? Dying them black? Dying them chocolate? What a waste. The color is beautiful if you can get used to the idea. Well, we grasp lavendar, black, silver, chocolate, golden, French blue-gray (barely), apricot (hardly) why not daffodil yellow? What's my interest? I look GREAT in yellow. OK, I've confessed.
If the Vietnamese can make the necklace (at a reasonable price) I'll post a photo in late July.

That sounds very interesting and if ever you manage in making a yellow colour graduated necklace, I certainly would be interested in buying one, if it is natural coloured. Let me know...

I think the pink does not actually sound too difficult. They have not actually paid someone to go through the harvest because pink akoya are almost universally "pinked". Also, since Mikimoto does not produce the pearls they sell, they are at the mercy of the producers and processors.

It would be interesting to see if it were possible with the natural-color Vietnamese, but the production is just so limited currently. It is a lot easier with freshwater pearls!

color graduated strand.JPG

It would also be possible with Tahitian pearls although much more difficult!

They look lovely, Jeremy. Would you be able to get enough of those strands to give us as a private offer?

I don't think a private offer will every be necessary. They are easy to request from China. It is a lot easier to do it that way than do them on your own. I just do not know how popular they would be.

They look lovely off, but since most of the graduation in wear will be behind the neck, will much of the effect be lost...?

An Opera length should show most of the colours. I would like uniform sized pearls and I believe as collector?s items they would be sellable even if for myself 1 on every colour graduation would be enough.

Wow, the pink is lovely! I'd love to see a strand of pink graduated freshwaters- what a fun strand! I'd personally prefer them as a 18" - 20" though, even if you couldn't see all of the colors. Besides, if they were a smaller sized pearl, couldn't you fit more in each of the color ranges? A princess would be easier to wear, imo, but the opera length does seem like an interesting prospect. My vote would still be for the shorter strand, I just couldn't think of how to put something together-- unless I doubled up on the strand or something. If you decide to carry these, I'd buy a strand of freshwaters in a heartbeat (assuming they fit the budget).

How about a graduated strand so the pearls are weighted and the strand doesn't shift with a subtle color graduation in front and white running in back?

That shading is gorgeous, and love the thought of a longer strand, so most of the shading would show. Awhile back Jeremy offered it in lavender, and I've always been sorry I didn't pick up a strand or 2 then. There is a greater color range in ombred lavender/purple than in pink/peach.

Oh god, sorry, but I came across these on Overstock (I like seeing modeling pics) and I nearly died laughing.
L11303822.jpg

Epic fail.

Baby Nurse and IcyJade have the most lovely ombre Tahitian rope. FYI.

I often like to take apart my multicolor strands (of any pearls) and sort them into an ombre look. It's easier with baroques, since you don't have to worry about size consistency. Ombre is fun :)

Kojima pearl has a couple of amazing ombre Temptress ropes currently. I would have bought one, but they are just too heavy for my neck. They are long and they pearls are big, and I drool over the photos of them.

Back