Hi all.

My collection of natural pearls.

Regards

Edgar R

Attachments

• IMG_1601[1].jpg
    IMG_1601[1].jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 46
So good to see you back. :D Those pearls are not your usual fare. Would you mind naming them and adding more photos if you are inclined....

Hi Caitlin

first pearl is. ( Spondylus calcifer)
second and third and fourth pearl are. Spiny oysters (Spondylus)
fifth pearl is clam (pismo)
sixth and seventh pearl (Lion's Paw)

Measurements and weight of the pearl of Spondylus. Not is operculum, It is an pearl. (19.04 x 13.54 - 6.3g - 31.5ct)

Attachments

• 20140218_221943.jpg
    20140218_221943.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 37
  • Scallop Pearl (1).jpg
    Scallop Pearl (1).jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 35
  • Scallop Pearl (2).jpg
    Scallop Pearl (2).jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 35
Hi Pattye

This collection of natural pearls are (Scallop) They were found in Baja California (Pacific Ocean) By fishermen in the area,With permit of fishing from the Mexican Government.
Photo of second pearl (Spiny oyster)

Attachments

• IMG_1417[1].jpg
    IMG_1417[1].jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_1378[1].jpg
    IMG_1378[1].jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_1384[1].jpg
    IMG_1384[1].jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_1372[1].jpg
    IMG_1372[1].jpg
    18 KB · Views: 40
GREAT shots of beautiful pearls! you captured the flames (er, what i'm calling what GG calls chatoyancy, i'm probably not correct) so well, love the pics!

The first pearl - is that yellow part also flamey/chatoyant? or is that a trick of the camera? so cool, either way!

Hi juliebeth

Is not no trick of the camera. Are pearls that have their own (flames or fire)

Hi Ed
Thank you so much for your continued posting of natural pearls. Your non-nacreous collection is a fantastic education for us all. I was stunned by the blue chatoyance in particular.

I have some old beads made from the spines of the spondylus shells. Such beads have been made along the Pacific coast of South America since long before the Conquest. I have both purple and orange beads though I always liked the purple better. Now, to see what beautiful pearls this oyster can have, I am enchanted all over again.

Below are two photos of handmade purple spondylus shell beads -one showing the hand made variations in the beads, one made into a necklace.

Attachments

• DCAM6399.JPG
    DCAM6399.JPG
    147.2 KB · Views: 43
  • spondalus seashell.jpg
    spondalus seashell.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 39
Caitlin, those beads are beautiful and very special! Thanks for sharing.

Back