Canadian Natural Pearls

Lagoon Island Pearls

First of all, thank you to the administrators for allowing me to join your discussion group. I'm no less than wholly impressed at the high level of professionalism and interest expressed here.

My name is Dave LeBlanc. I live in British Columbia, Canada. Several years ago, while living on Vancouver Island, I held two provincial foreshore leases, where I experimented in the viability of harvesting, conditioning, and rearing of edible clams (Venerupus phillipinarium) and pearl culture in California mussels (Mytilus californianus).

While admittedly neither a marine biologist nor gemologist, I have extensive background as a deep sea diver. During my time as a diver, harvested geoduck clams, red/green sea urchins, abalone, marine plants, barnacles and sea cuccumbers. Not all of these harvestings were for the food industry, but some (namely octopus and barnacles) were harvested for research purposes in either biomass/growth rate studies or spinal cord research.

Due to the onset of debilitating arthritis, I was forced into early retirement from diving at the ripe old age of 26, when I re-adjusted my studies to the intertidal zone.

The waters of Clayoquot Sound and Meares Island are a pristine environment, hundreds of kilometers from major industrial pollution sources. I selected a site within an area known as Lemmens Inlet. This inlet is quite unique on a global scale, apparently having more species per unit square, second only to the Red Sea. There is a thriving oyster culture within Lemmens Inlet, which produce an estimated 50,000 gallons annually of fast growing contaminant-free product.

I was considering aquiring a lease for oyster production in the area and scouted several locations. Most oyster culture takes place "off bottom". Spat is suspended on strings and floated by barrels for grow out. The intial cost in this method is high, because of the cost of flotation, line and anchors. I sought a location, where I could experiment in bottom culture, escaping some costs. In my surveys, I discovered a very remarkable place. Nestled in the heart of Lemmens Inlet, is Lagoon Island. Aptly named because the upland surrounding an intertidal lagoon. One of the major factors in determining a provincial foreshore lease, is non-alienation of other user groups or species. The Lagoon is strewn with large California mussels, which is not a common thing within inland waterways. Mytilus c., for the mostpart, habituates along the wave pounded shores of the surf line.

To this day, it's not clearly known why these mussels occur as an adjunct species, but presumably because of food sources and temperature as well as a lack of natural predation, even though multiple predators are present in the region.

I knew natural pearls are found in local oysters, but they are of no great value, being concretions. This led me to examine the mussels, which have a nacreous shell lining. Fortunately for me, any natural pearls I find, are "in situ", therefore can be closely examined in their pathology.

My collection of natural pearls, is a combination of incidence biomass study through measured units expanded over a region where the animals were sacrificed as well as incidental harvests from implant experiments.

Understandably, my experiments were crude science at best, but having found more than a thousand naturals, I have an intimate knowledge of how pearls most often occur within the anatomy of a mussel. While some of my pearls are concretions, most are nacreous. Although I have found some pearls up to 2cm, they are tiny for the mostpart.

These pearls had very little attention from industry experts to this day. Only once, did I have a gemologist examine my pearls. In the absence of certification and report details, he was impressed by the quality of the surfaces. It's important to note, these pearls have been out of water for nearly two decades and kept in a dark container. I sincerely apologize for the low imgage quality, as I only have a 5.2 mp camera and no tripod. I have been asked by Dr. Stern, to provide high resolution images, but should probably include a few samples for examination. That said, I would be happy to provide a sample to anyone certified in the field, in exchange for a detailed report.

I suppose I could go on forever and a day about these little beauties, but will leave it for further discussion and questions within this forum. Again, I am pleased to be here and look forward to things to come.

Attachments

• natural_pearls.jpg
    natural_pearls.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 96
A 5.2 megapixel camera is more than adequate. Will the photo be coming in a susequent post? I am keen to hear more about your pearls and see photos.

Welcome! ;)
Blaire

Yes, I see it now. How about using the macro setting for a closeup?

I have some macros, albeit grainy. I'll resize them and upload them momentarily. Likewise, will endeavor to snap a few better shots this evening.

The website is great. You do have a lot of pearls! I'm not sure how saleable the smaller ones will be, but with the right packaging, they could sell as collector's pieces. I'm thinking that you can mount the small pearls on a certificate you create with artwork or photo and some of the story behind the pearl. Then put the whole inside a glass frame. Think Atocha silver coins. Maybe you could even give them serial numbers. ;)

The bigger ones will definitely be desirable to natural pearl collectors and jewelry designers. Please single out the larger and more nacreous pearls for a closeup when you have the time and the proper light.

Cheers,
Blaire

I copied your high res photo to my desktop and enlarged it to have a better look before I wrote my last post. These pearls generally look best in indirect daylight, late morning or early afternoon. ;)

Again, my apologies for the lack of image quality, this round.

In one image, you will see several pearls originating from a single mussel.

My guess would be a crab nuclei, but if you stare at clouds long enough you can see things too. ;)

Attachments

• natural_pearls02.jpg
    natural_pearls02.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 63
  • natural_pearls03.jpg
    natural_pearls03.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 51
  • natural_pearls04.jpg
    natural_pearls04.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 55
They remind me of the pearls from blue mussels, albeit different colors - the same sort of soft sheen. The caramel colored pearls would look great encircled with brown diamonds. Not mainstream stuff, but neither were rough diamond crystals which are now quite the thing. ;)

I copied your high res photo to my desktop and enlarged it to have a better look before I wrote my last post. These pearls generally look best in indirect daylight, late morning or early afternoon. ;)

I'll try that. I have been using a small flourescent light to illuminate them for auto focus, but I'm still a bit shaky holding the camera.

Would wetting/blotter drying improve the imaging quality you think?

For camera shaking, try using the timer. Not having to press the button removes some of the movement. And if you can lean against something like the back of a chair, that helps too.

I would take photos dry so there are no surprises about what people are getting. Or are you talking about blotter-drying of an actual paper photo? - been a long time since I had to do that. Trust me about the indirect daylight. Everyone will appreciate your efforts. ;)

They remind me of the pearls from blue mussels, albeit different colors - the same sort of soft sheen. The caramel colored pearls would look great encircled with brown diamonds. Not mainstream stuff, but neither were rough diamond crystals which are now quite the thing. ;)

Definitely not mainstream. Nor does criteria exist from which valuations may be applied.

The one important bit of advice I got from the person who examined them a while ago, was to not squander individual pearls here and there, but to keep the collection as a whole, favoring a high quality limited edition.

I have mounted some pieces as gifts to friends and family. A few earring stud sets and a couple of pendants. I've done some jewelcrafting in the past, but certainly do not have the "flair" to produce anything remotely as elegant as some of the works I've seen here.

These things are hard to value. Their origin from a mussel that is not normally thought of as a pearl producer makes them rare and you have some provenance with your leases. As a set, they would be more valuable. The problem is finding the right buyer. If that is your intention, I would take a deep breath, relax and take your time. Posting here, having your website, and waiting for contacts from dealers and collectors is wise. And in the meantime, you can entertain us with bigger and better photos. We adore photos! ;)

Their origin from a mussel that is not normally thought of as a pearl producer makes them rare and you have some provenance with your leases. As a set, they would be more valuable

I agree. A collection like this, is virtually impossible to replicate. When I aquired my leases, there were incomplete regulations with regard to innovative or novel aquaculture techniques. Nowadays, any new application would meet with high scrutiny in environmental assessments (public and scientific) and have strict covenants applied to wild stocks.

California mussels are not considered a food source in Canada, mainly because of their tendancy to uptake and retain for long periods, PSP (paralytic shellfish poisoning). Besides that, even if it was permitted, "sport" harvesters are not allowed to buy, sell, trade or barter any part of the resource.

And in the meantime, you can entertain us with bigger and better photos. We adore photos! ;)

I'll do my very best. Including getting someone with proper optics to take a few shots.

Would I ever adore speaking with you for a day or two!!! :) From BC to NS and similar situations. They do look a lot like the blue mussel pearls. Maybe I missed it, but did you post any of the "in-situ" pics. Shells?

Most of my collection comes from Nova Scotia (Atlantic or Bay of Fundy) and are Clam or Blue Mussel.

So with Mytilus californicianus you're getting pinks... M. edulis and M. trossulus (and hybrids) seem to be my wild ones... not many in the pink realm, more purple to cream with many dull greys, but they do look similar.

(try a

Here are a few recent finds. Again not the best imagery at 5mp, but little cuties.

Attachments

• Image1.jpg
    Image1.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 50
Back