Buyer and Seller Responsibilities Regarding Shipping

a lot of us have migrated from there. I still go and post time to time. But not with the regularity that I did in the past. They keep losing a lot of valuable posters due to their arbitrary rules (they delete some post but let others continue, its all very bothersome).

In any event I find PG to be much more refreshing

Enbcsobe, they must have deleted the thread despite the fact that it contained a number of different stories from forum users about their experiences with this seller. I did not request thread deletion. They did this on the basis that they think I am a seller, even though I do not see myself as a business, I do not have a registered business, and I have only sold to friends and acquaintances locally at materials cost when people have asked me after seeing g the pictures I post I n Facebook of the things I have made. My website (which I listed here and not on the other forum) serves as a gallery/portfolio and I included prices at the request of my friends. I do not take custom orders or ship anywhere or otherwise promote the things I have made. And in that thread all I discussed was the buying experiences and expectations. So I don't think it's reasonable for them to assume I have any agenda other than as a buyer who wanted a refund and to inform others as well.

Same thing happened to me. I am listed as trade and I don't even have a web site lol All because someone found a 2 yr old thread on PGF when I mentioned the word client and turned me in as 'trade' . If you sell Pearl jewellery at all..you are trade. That's just the way they run things. Has nothing to do with whether or not you make money or are legally a business. And to be honest it doesn't really interfere with most of the things I would post anyway. I was upset at first but then figured I spend most of my time here anyways .. lol

I agree, it doesn't affect me all that much considering I don't think I would venture to make another purchase from the vendor I mentioned anyway; and I use Pearl Guide SO much more than Pricescope. It's unfortunate for anyone that comes afterwards to not have the six or more different accounts of purchasing experiences that were posted on that thread which were probably the first time anyone had come forward with less than stellar reviews.

Law of the land, but I always get a knee jerk response when I get told off for not following "the rules" as they put it based on their own arbitrary interpretation of it. Can't resist putting the inconsistencies out there (just like PayPal, lol).

When I said "narrow", I meant they only want people to talk about their own and each other's pearls. Period.

Pearl-Guide.com has a very broad, even sweeping, approach to pearls. We have lots of one to one sharing here- we have a whole forum for that, plus personal sharing is encouraged in many other forums as well. We have forums that include just about every aspect of the world of pearls as an encouragement for all to learn more about pearls than their names and colors.

Even if you just learn to to properly care for or pearls- we have a forum for that. If you ever wanted to restring your own pearls or even design your own creations, we have a forum for that.

And, the people who come here do learn a lot about pearls without even trying, just by reading threads that interest them, and by asking their own questions about any aspect of pearls. We love the small Etsy shop owners who post here, they often have beautiful pearls or creations for sale. There are many hobbyists and crafters who know a lot about making pearl jewelry, as well as professional designers who contribute regularly.

This place is pearl heaven as far as I am concerned!

This is why P-G is so exceptional:

The purpose of Pearl-Guide.com is to

Promote cultured and natural pearls as the world’s most popular and ecologically responsible gemstone
Protect consumer confidence in the online pearl industry
Protect consumers from unethical trading practices
Educate consumers and members of the industry
Promote honest and universal grading systems
Promote honest and ethical pearl retailers and wholesalers
Break the industry’s shroud of secrecy through open discussion and debate
Make breaking news of the industry available as it happens

I have participated in many forums on the other site, both jewelry-related and personal. I guess since saying "pearls" at all used to get you booted from the other site they are making (incremental) progress, but in my years of on and off use over there I feel like it is less friendly to the average consumer than it used to be, as well as less friendly to jewelry hobbyists. Being a consumer information site is a delicate dance, and I think the scope of discussions there has outrun the ability to fairly and consistently moderate. I am glad both consumers and hobbyists are welcomed here and truly appreciate the knowledge imparted by vendors, makers, and enthusiasts alike. Pearls offer a much more affordable habit for me than gems, and I love the DIY aspect (something I'd never try with the dusty box of colored stones in my closet).

I have been on PS off and on for about 14 years. I lived on the pregnancy related threads when I was pregnant with both of my girls and then the infant and toddler threads, etc. I discovered the Pearls forum about 2 years ago, and spent a lot of time there.

Since the PS moderators have decided to start deleting threads from members who have given so much time to that forum, I am no longer interested in hanging out there. About once a month I peak in to see if anything new and interesting has been posted, but I swear I hear crickets chirping when I go there now. So many regulars have left, that the daily activity is so much lower than it was several months ago.

I am glad P-G is still a welcoming home for pearl lovers!

KaySD -- It's actually good (though sad) to hear that it wasn't just me being cranky about PS. I thought I was getting overly sensitive, nice to know I wasn't totally out on a limb.

JerseyPearl -- I'd love to do something with my colored stones, but they are almost all faceted stones that need to be professionally set, which means having a bunch of $$ at one time and a plan for a piece that I will actually wear (I've also got pave rings collecting dust b/c they aren't practical for my current life). Some of the loose stuff (fire opals, eg) I don't even have someone I'd trust to set them even if I could afford it. I also have a lot of what are really "learner" stones that I'm not sure are worth setting. I should probably divest some of the stuff on DB or LT, but I haven't been able to bring myself to do it. I love that with help from you all I've found places to get "learner" pearls that I can assemble myself, that can be re-assembled a million times, for not very much $. Its like almost-instant gratification, with low committment and a lot less guilt.

KaySD -- It's actually good (though sad) to hear that it wasn't just me being cranky about PS. I thought I was getting overly sensitive, nice to know I wasn't totally out on a limb.

JerseyPearl -- I'd love to do something with my colored stones, but they are almost all faceted stones that need to be professionally set, which means having a bunch of $$ at one time and a plan for a piece that I will actually wear (I've also got pave rings collecting dust b/c they aren't practical for my current life). Some of the loose stuff (fire opals, eg) I don't even have someone I'd trust to set them even if I could afford it. I also have a lot of what are really "learner" stones that I'm not sure are worth setting. I should probably divest some of the stuff on DB or LT, but I haven't been able to bring myself to do it. I love that with help from you all I've found places to get "learner" pearls that I can assemble myself, that can be re-assembled a million times, for not very much $. Its like almost-instant gratification, with low committment and a lot less guilt.

I would love to see your gem collection, maybe we could dedicate a thread in 'other stuff' for this purpose, once the website is back up and running properly. The coloured stone section on PS is great as well for ogling other people's creation and gem purchase.

On PS I don't think the mods read everything in a thread, they get people reporting a post for x reason, confirms rule violation and then remove it from the forum. It's too large for personalised service.

You are welcome to have non-pearl related threads in the Other Stuff forum. Who doesn't love jewelry, even if it has other gems? :)

Sounds like I need to have a photo session with some of my neglected sparklies!! Some are already in old threads over on PS in Colored Stones (which I don't frequent now b/c I was buying too many and not setting enough). But new pics might inspire some ideas, or maybe someone will want to adopt a few. I love seeing everyone's jewelry -- you all have some amazing stuff!

I've been totally deleted on PS. All of my old posts. Only my new posts show up. I emailed the moderators and was told that it was a mistake (they said I got accidentally deleted as they were removing spam from a thread I was posting on) they assured me that they would get my posts put back, but suspiciously it was on the deleted thread that I was posting when this was done, and it's been days now and my posts have still not been reinstated. It makes me sad as I had many pictures, vendor reviews (almost all positive), etc., on the site and they are all gone.

Back