Big natural freshwater pearl

Isi

Hi to all
What is in your opinion the maximum size for a freshwater natural pearl ?
A pendant with such a pearl (certified by a laboratory) will soon be auctioned in Paris.
The pearl is described as 16.5 mm in width x 11.5 mm in depth (a bit flattish but not so much).
That sounds huge to me for this type of pearl... I am a bit suspicious.
What do you say ?

Any link to the item? Why can't a freshwater pearl be that large in your opinion? I think you may find a few natural USA pearls as large or larger if you visited some of the bigger US dealers in such pearls. Perhaps some contributors here have handled known natural US pearls larger or at least equal to the one you have doubts on. Would be interesting to see. Might even be a few in some of the US museums!

Some of the UK regalia - the Crown Jewels - has huge pearls which are naturals. Is your question in fact ' is laboratory x a good provenance?'

No unfortunately no link, I have only a paper catalogue. The laboratory is SSEF so very trustable. The pearl is on the picture very round and regular (although button shape) and I was surprised at its dimensions, weight is 94 grains so at least twice Little Willie which is "only "44 grains. I don't think such a size is really common for freshwater natural pearls from Europe, but you are right Orient maybe this one is from a US river mollusk which may well be bigger than our european mussels.

Yes, baroque ; but round ?
I'll try to take a photo of the catalogue picture, you'll tell me what you think.

Here is a picture (from the catalogue) of the pendant and its description.
The weight is 84 grains, not 94 as I said previously (sorry) but it is still biggish.

eau douce 003.jpg

eau douce 005.jpg

Of course it is just an estimated price. But regular round natural pearls make big prices currently in parisian auction sales, either strands or other pieces of jewelry.
However it is the first time I see a certified freshwater important jewel in an auction sale (not that I see everything of course !)
Mmmm... Not sure that so many people will make the difference.

Yes, I gave the dimensions in my first post, and mentioned that it was flat.
It is not spherical, but is still round.
Does that change anything as to its exceptional size for a freshwater pearl ?

Back