Best way to sell a conch Pearl?

Faithful

Hello. I have a high value, 8 carat conch pearl. The appraisal done about 2010
by a jeweler in Key West, was $170,000.

Trying to figure out how best to sell it, Sotheby’s? Christy’s? Any suggestions? Has anyone here had experience with the big auction houses?

Thank you

The first step is to determine its current value. An 8 carat conch is a large pearl, but that appraisal seems exceedingly high. Does the pearl have deep color and perfect flame all the way around? Can you share an image?

If it is a super-special pearl, there are two people I know who would be able to advise you in the next steps.

The first step is to determine its current value. An 8 carat conch is a large pearl, but that appraisal seems exceedingly high. Does the pearl have deep color and perfect flame all the way around? Can you share an image?

If it is a super-special pearl, there are two people I know who would be able to advise you in the next steps.
Thank you for the reply. The appraisal was from Emeralds International. I have added a few small diamonds & emeralds to the setting. This image is from the original appraisal.

Attachments

• IMG_0076.jpeg
    IMG_0076.jpeg
    35 KB · Views: 99
What are the dimensions of the pearl?
Hi, see specifications below from the appraisal. I don’t have a good picture of the flame structure, but per the statement below it is throughout. The pearl was appraised before it was set into the custom built prongs that were added to the setting. The appraisal is from June, 2008.

Attachments

• IMG_3662.jpeg
    IMG_3662.jpeg
    975.7 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
Has anyone here had experience with the big auction houses?
I have, but without much luck. Firstly, their fee is exorbitant. Secondly, the final bid may be a liability unless a minimum bid is applied. Lastly, whether they decide it's suitable or not as auctions tend to appear in themes.

I don't normally comment on pricing because it's so subjective. No one would dispute this is a quality pearl in a magnificent setting, however the appraisal seems very high. I'd expect it's more for insurance purposes than resale.

When I spoke to Christie's offering my life's work of more than 4000 natural pearls at little more than half of your estimate, they declined. They explained being more interested in single or personal collections of finished pieces rather than raw lots, hence they may accept your piece, but not without GIA certification, certificates of origin and reasonable provenance.

I have, but without much luck. Firstly, their fee is exorbitant. Secondly, the final bid may be a liability unless a minimum bid is applied. Lastly, whether they decide it's suitable or not as auctions tend to appear in themes.

I don't normally comment on pricing because it's so subjective. No one would dispute this is a quality pearl in a magnificent setting, however the appraisal seems very high. I'd expect it's more for insurance purposes than resale.

When I spoke to Christie's offering my life's work of more than 4000 natural pearls at little more than half of your estimate, they declined. They explained being more interested in single or personal collections of finished pieces rather than raw lots, hence they may accept your piece, but not without GIA certification, certificates of origin and reasonable provenance.
Thank you for all the info, very helpful.

After posting the photos and dimensions, etc, above, do you think the 2 people you were thinking of could assist me with next steps? It has silk rose color and flame all the way around. Thank you.

Thank you for the reply. The appraisal was from Emeralds International. I have added a few small diamonds & emeralds to the setting. This image is from the original appraisal.
In my experience, both Diamonds and Emeralds International have exorbitant appraisal pricing. I would use their valuation with a pinch of salt, pepper and even cummin!

Back