Best clasps for long, heavy necklaces

Katbran

Clasps are the bane of my life..I swear... I understand why websites usually offer ball clasps in either white or yellow gold and keep it simple. My question is this .. I have been making a few long , 44" , large pearl necklaces lately. I have a good Sterling clasp but now I've got to come up with a 14 or 18 kt gold one as well. I've used Toggles as they are very good for the heavy pieces but I've got a couple of clients who want something a bit 'fancier' . So I need a type of clasp that will hold on a 44 inch 13mm Tahitian necklace. I am just not confident in a ball clasp .. will they actually hold that weight? Like a 12mm one? How about the pinch clasps like the Easy Touch at Stullers...(so far I've only found them in sterling...if someone knows where some gold ones are please inform me lol ) Many people find the ball clasp to be a bit fiddly to fasten anyways... the pinch looks like it would be great if someone has arthritis..but again I'm not sure if they are any good at holding the weight of a long necklace.

So... any weight bearing fancy clasps out there?? lol All suggestions and links appreciated !

A while ago I posted this link: http://www.bendavidclasps.com/pdf/1394632935.pdf

The prices are a bit scary, but if you read page one you'll see "Prices are triple-keystone etc." which I believe means prices are "retail" meant to be quoted to customers, and your wholesale buy price is (I think) one third of quoted price.

In my experience a good ball clasp can hold plenty of weight, you often see them on large SSP's like these 13mm to 17mm monsters.

SouthSea2A .jpg

Thanks for that info ... I had not been game to knot a whole long strand only to find that the ball clasp wouldn't support it . Nice thing about them is that they come in such a huge range of styles that there is something for everyone. Good point Pattye about the weight , I'll definitely keep that in mind.
Amrita, thanks very much for the photos .. lovely necklaces and I like the pattern on the ball clasp ... looks like around 12mm ? I'm sure that necklace would weigh about the same as the ones I've worked on lately.
Paul , thanks very much for the link .. I'll go and check it out. Much appreciated !

thanks again for all the info

Back