Bahrain to cash in on rich pearl history

Caitlin

LINK

Bahrain to cash in on rich history

Rebecca Bundhun

• Last Updated: April 24. 2010 6:34PM UAE / April 24. 2010 2:34PM GMT
Manama // Bahrain, the smallest of the Gulf states, is developing a new tourism brand with a focus on its history as it aims to attract high-spending travellers to boost the sector’s contribution to the economy.

Until now, the island has done little to promote tourism but it still manages to attract millions of visitors a year as people from Saudi Arabia drive across the King Fahd Causeway at the weekends to.

Visitors from Saudi Arabia make up two thirds of arrivals in Bahrain, while cruise ships are another major source of day visitors. Tourism is an important part of Bahrain’s Economic Vision 2030, the country’s development plans for its economy.

“We want to increase the number of hotel residents and the average length of stay,” said Heba Aziz, the executive director and adviser at the tourism section of Bahrain’s ministry of culture and information.

To this end, the ministry plans to promote and develop cultural and historical attractions and is keen to highlight Bahrain’s role as the ancient capital of the Dilmun civilisation, which dates back more than 4,500 years.

Among the attractions are the restored Qal’at al Bahrain Fort, a UNESCO world heritage site, and ancient burial mounds.

Bahrain has also applied for UNESCO listing for a project that would preserve its pearl-diving heritage. Until oil was discovered, pearls were a staple of Bahrain’s economy. The project would include the restoration of traditional houses, a visitor centre and the preservation of oyster beds. Tourists would also be offered the chance to try pearl-diving.

You would do nicely -- but being of the buoyant type, I'd still be at the surface, kicking like mad. ;)

jajaja! It sounds like fun, I used to love to dive deep as I could when I was young, but I'd want a pressurized suit or a diving bell made of transparent material now, because I have a messed up ear. Nah, I'd want it anyway!

Fascinating! Thank you for the info Caitlin!
How deep should one dive to find oysters there? I "lived" a lot under water when I was child, but lately have not found getting very salty sea water into my eyes extremely pleasant thing.

You would do nicely -- but being of the buoyant type, I'd still be at the surface, kicking like mad. ;)

LOL, I can float very well too. Still would dive just for fun ;).

Ja ja ja! to going diving in Bahrain (ja ja ja means yes yes yes in Estonian).

Maria

Jajaja means Hahaha in Spanish-it is pronounced Hahaha as in English. It needs an upside down exclamation mark at the front and right side up exclamation remark at the end. I am glad it also means yesyesyes! Is it pronounced like yayaya in Estonian? Or is the J hard? My stepfather's Jewish grandparents came from Estonia- I always wanted to visit his old family village, but now I can't remember the name- which isn't all that uncommon in one of my age (jajaja!)

The pearls in the Persian Gulf are often in fairy shallow water, maybe around 30-or more feet. That is a guess, but I seem to remember something like that. As always, I am open to correction.

Last edited:
Jajaja means Hahaha in Spanish-it is pronounced Hahaha as in English. It needs an upside down exclamation mark at the front and right side up exclamation remark at the end. I am glad it also means yesyesyes! Is it pronounced like yayaya in Estonian? Or is the J hard? My stepfather's Jewish grandparents came from Estonia- I always wanted to visit his old family village, but now I can't remember the name- which isn't all that uncommon in one of my age (jajaja!)

The pearls in the Persian Gulf are often in fairy shallow water, maybe around 30-or more feet. That is a guess, but I seem to remember something like that. As always, I am open to correction.

Yes, I remember reading the tread, where somebody used and explained the Spanish jajaja. The Estonian "ja" is pronounced almost like "ya" (in yard for example).
Even if you remembered the village name your stepfather's grandparents lived in and it could be found, there may have not been anything to see. They probably left Estonia sometime in the end of 19th or beginning of 20th century. Since then the small villages have changed names and a lot of them have dissapeared. Young people continue leaving to towns and not returning. So many small villages die off eventually. Sad really.
If you remember the village name, let me know. I would be happy to find out if it's still there and how is life there.
I was just thinking few days ago, when you helped Mervione with her schoolwork in a thread, that you are very lucky to have razor-sharp mind. Well, I have always thought that age is just a number ;).

Maria

Thanks. I am an idea person. My mind is organized, but all too often I can't remember- and it's minutes even days before it comes back.

Back