are these south sea pearls

8summerrose

1612945_10203786633048352_1156592262_o.jpg1800013_10203786674009376_4977752104996254657_o.jpg

Hi can you tell me please what sort of pearls I have? They are real pearls that I am sure..The short necklace was given me by my ex who had a shop in Lombok Indonesia..the longer one was also a gift from a Lombok friend too. They are gritty, the short necklace has small pin dimples in some of the pearls and the longer one has line ridges across them Thank you

Last edited:
Welcome to P-G!

Could you please take a few more photos?
• close up (use your close-up setting on the camera-- it may have a flower icon)
• white background (a paper towel works well)
• no flash
• try to focus more clearly...

What Pearl Dreams suggested for better photos will give precise judgement. I enlarged the pictures and suspected the left as freshwater due to its eggy shape. The one on the right is probably freshwater too because of the shape and ridges.

I agree with Cathy, adding that the oval shape of the strand to the left makes me think they are freshwater too. What is the size? I'm guessing somewhere between 6-8 mm, depending on where you measure. If correct this would also mark them as freshwater pearls.

- Karin

SAM_0403.jpgSAM_0410.jpgSAM_0412.jpgSAM_0416.jpg

Hi .thank you so much for your comments.I so appreciate them.Are my Pearls of any value? would I need to add them to my Insurance? I have added a few extra photos ..yes, they are between 6-8 mm

Would the barrel shape ones be what is called Barque pearls?? they have a much higher luster than the short stand pearls too

They do appear to be Chinese baroque freshwater pearls. They aren't tremendously valuable so I wouldn't worry about putting them on your insurance. They look like fun strands though!

thank you ..What about the short round ones are they fresh water too??

they are not chinese ,,I know for a fact they are from Lombok Indonesia

Freshwaters, all-- and a highly wearable size! You don't have to concern yourself with insuring them or protecting them-- just wear and enjoy them. These have no bead inside-- they are all nacre-- so you can't wear them out!

Thank you all for your helpful comments..I love them regarding their value, they look and feel wonderful to wear and extra special as gifts from friends..My so call adopted daughter in Lombok who is a big pearl seller of South sea pearl tonight surprised me with a necklace of south sea pearls as a birthday gift on her return to London ..The reason I came to you to ask regarding the ones I have was because my ex that give me the pearls was her cousin and I didn't want the family to know I was inquiring about them ..I just think how strange it was that she mail me tonight with this gift..I don't think I will love them more than the fresh water ones that I already have.Thank you ones again for all your help ..I will be posting my new gift at a later date for you all to see....https://www.facebook.com/pages/MIRA-by-CV-Lombok-South-Sea-Pearls/245724668875976..(.Samira FB page) ..

Back