Are these Mikimoto pearls?

Jeangrey1

Community member
Dear All,

My mom told me to keep this "bunch of grapes" style pearl pendant in the family. She also mentioned that this was a gift to her by a Japanese business associate in the 1970s (I think) who told her that this pendant consisted of Mikimoto pearls.

Are these Mikimoto pearls?

The pendant consists of 12 pieces of 7mm pearls, set in silver. I was looking for the Mikimoto "M" mark but found none.
The pearls are gritty to the tooth test, consistent in size, slightly yellowish (maybe due to storage or me not wearing them :(

Am attaching the photos for the forum's comments..

Thanks in advance :)

IMG_1841.jpgIMG_1842.jpg

There is no way to tell if they are Mikimoto pearls just from looking at them. They look like very nice akoya pearls, but there is nothing to distinguish Mikimoto brand akoyas from other high quality akoyas....that is why the mark on findings is important. (But with strands, clasps can be swapped out when pearls are restrung, so that is also not a guarantee.)

Maybe someone will come along who recognizes this pendant.

What a delightful pendant! Are the pearls linked onto a chain? The pearls appear to be high quality. I hope you will write your story down and keep it with the pearls. By any chance did the pendant come in a small jewelry box that would have a name on it? Thank you for sharing your family treasure.

Back