Another pearl from inner lining clearly visible?

YHammouda-Eyre

Community member
Hi pearl-guiders,
recently we received a pearl enquiry about the following Natural pearls? up to 50 carats in wt - from white in colour to platinum, pink silver and gold color

The pearls are believed to be old but still have good luster. The shapes are very different.

In most of the pearls the outer skin is punctured and another pearl from inner lining is clearly visible giving it a shape of an eye. :confused:

Is there any kind of market for the above pearls?
What is the price on the basis of Chav?
Client wants pearls certified however is asking
Without a certificate are the pearls worth anything?

I found this question particularly interesting... in the larger sizes i.e size more than 90 chav piece - do these types of pearls have a higher price and if so to what extent in percentage?
Would anyone know what is the average international price per Chav?
(client is in India)

Any input much appreciated

Thanks Pearl-Guiders

Yvonne Hammouda-Eyre

Yvonne, I havent come across the term Chav so far, what does it mean?

In most of the pearls the outer skin is punctured and another pearl from inner lining is clearly visible giving it a shape of an eye. :confused:

When you say punctured, do you mean drilled? It you are describing a flaw in the surface with a pearl below, maybe the pearls should be peeled.

Purlgurl,

I think chav is actually chov. It is the Indian equivalent of the Japanese momme and kan for pearl weight.

Old Pearls

Old Pearls

Hi pearl-guiders,
recently we received a pearl enquiry about the following Natural pearls? up to 50 carats in wt - from white in colour to platinum, pink silver and gold color

The pearls are believed to be old but still have good luster. The shapes are very different.

Is there any kind of market for the above pearls?
What is the price on the basis of Chav?
Client wants pearls certified however is asking
Without a certificate are the pearls worth anything?

I found this question particularly interesting... in the larger sizes i.e size more than 90 chav piece - do these types of pearls have a higher price and if so to what extent in percentage?
Would anyone know what is the average international price per Chav?
(client is in India)

Any input much appreciated

Thanks Pearl-Guiders

Yvonne Hammouda-Eyre

Hello,

I recently purchased 40 old pearls in China, I judge them to be approximately 1780. The biggest is about 14 carats, and the surfaces of most have peeling areas that show inner layers. While this can sometimes be corrected by a "pearl doctor" there is no certainty how deep you must go or whether there is any nice pearl inside. Because the dealer in China did not know the potential value of the pearls, I got them for less than $20,000.

Chow: here is the formula carat weight x carat weight x 0.6518,

Example for a 4 carat pearl 4 x 4= 16, x 0.6518 = 10.428 chow.

The international price per chow depends on many factors, but $100 per chow is ok for starters.

Hope this helps you. If you want to post photos, that would help. I would immediately take the biggest pearl and xray it. Back light the xray, photograph it, and post that as well. Then we can help you be sure there is no bead inside of a pearl distressed to make it seem old.

On the 50 carat one, send me a photo and your asking price.

Sincerely,
Tom Stern,MD

Dear Dr Tom Stern

thank you very much for your reply. I have relayed your message to the appropriate person who made the inquiry from India. I haven't heard back yet, but if we do get photos of the pearls, I will ask permission to add a photo on the Pearl Guide forum.

In India, Chov must be written or pronounced - Chav, as Jeremy mentioned, it is the Indian equivalent of the Japanese momme and kan for pearl weight. Thanks Jeremy and could you please let me know more about Pearl Peeling? It sounds interesting.

pbazar - thank you for your interest - message has been relayed.

Purlgurl - mystery solved - a chov is chav!

Thanks Pearl Guiders!

with regards
Yvonne Hammouda-Eyre

Back