Another first necklace - would you call this a collar?

G

GemGeek

If you read my torsade and gemfaire threads, you know I had some clasp management problems. Finally getting the new clasps home, I spent the entire weekend looking for the matching cones to no avail!

I promised to donate a necklace for the City Ballet of San Diego for their annual Nutcracker fundraiser silent auction. This was for a friend of my Mom, so Mom decided that I should make the same torsade necklace because she wanted bragging rights and she thought the torsade was a sure thing.

No cones! I took out all kinds of beautiful pearls and crystals, but just couldn't make something complex on the spot. The stress!:eek:

So, I sacrificed the best pearls from my Gem Faire visit and used some lavender buttons I had on-hand. Here is the unmade strand...

rainbow double drill.jpg

I have never bought double-drilled pearls for the very reason that by their nature, they restrict what you can do with them. On the other hand, these were a sure thing beauty-wise, so I got to work.

I had to knot through glass beads to get the gimp/french coil onto the clasp because I only had thicker silk thread, but I think it looks kind of "antiquey".

clasp pg.jpg

Look at the colors...

shoulder pg.jpg

Here's the whole thing...

whole necklace pg.jpg

As I was making it, the colors shimmering in the incandescent light made me swoon. Here you can see the gleaming surface in a side view, but at night, you could literally see right into the pearls.

surface pg.jpg

I can see that one looks crooked, but I tried it both ways and neither one looked right. I didn't have a lot of time to keep putting them on and taking them off, although I was forced to do it many times before I finished. Time constraint won out over perfectionism!:)

So is it a collar? It lies flat. I'm not sure if that has another name.

I can't take credit for the pearls, that's for sure.;) Nature is the ultimate artist!

No, it's not a collar. A collar encircles the neck. If it sits at the collarbone and encircles just below the neck, it's a choker. Are you going to call this "a study in graduation?" I love double-drilled pearls. I found some pearls in Kenya (what am I doing surfing in Kenya!) a few months ago which are double-drilled, but not horizontally. The drill holes cross each other. Never saw that before. Definitely solves pearl lace knotting problems. Collar or choker. It's beautiful.

I know there must be a word for it. It doesn't stand up and it's not short, so it's not a choker or collar then. Hmmm...

Valeria will know... Muah hah ha!

Thanks for the compliments. I was worried that it looked hand-made in the negative kind of way.:)

Could it be a necklace?

That's beautiful, Blaire, absolutely beautiful.
And it looks like a chain of office, so that's what I dub it ! ;)

Sueki said:
That's beautiful, Blaire, absolutely beautiful.
And it looks like a chain of office, so that's what I dub it ! ;)

How about a sheath dress, for that matter?!! Or a purse covered in them... Too bad there was only one strand left. I have a few pearls left over to fool around with when I get a chance.;)

How lovely! I think those were my favorite pearls I saw from your other thread.

Mandy said:
How lovely! I think those were my favorite pearls I saw from your other thread.

They were my favorites, too, and I was thinking in the back of my mind that I would keep them somehow. That's why I had to pay a fortune in sales tax last year -- keeping the inventory and gifting it as gifts means making it up to the state of California.;)

But they got me off the hook because I knew I could make the necklace in an evening and the beauty of the pearls would make up for any assembly glitches. And the City Ballet should make some decent money. If I had seen those pearls before I was in the business, I would have bid on them for sure.

Anyway, thanks Mandy. You know I love to share photos.:)

knotty panda said:
No, it's not a collar. A collar encircles the neck. If it sits at the collarbone and encircles just below the neck, it's a choker. Are you going to call this "a study in graduation?" I love double-drilled pearls. I found some pearls in Kenya (what am I doing surfing in Kenya!) a few months ago which are double-drilled, but not horizontally. The drill holes cross each other. Never saw that before. Definitely solves pearl lace knotting problems. Collar or choker. It's beautiful.

A collar also can be much bigger with many layers than this I would not put it in the choker category because it does lie flat Chokers also are about teh neck and generally do nto lie flat... Or so I was always told by my Grandmother. Its a necklace plain and simple IMHO..

Very Nice piece...

Hi Sueki,

Love teh Corolatuion between this pieces and Chains of office... I have made several chains of office. None however with many pearls... HMMMMM

Cheers
Ash

I got his name wrong, but you can't forget his face -- Jonathan Rhys Meyers! <sigh>

wow, I just caught this thread and while I usually don't like the type of pearl you've used I think it looks great! Very Nice job, the whole thing just works beautifully.

Caitlin Williams said:
How did you come to associate the stick pearls with hippies?

They are usually drilled in the middle and give a frothy wild-child look that I associate with the bohemian freeness of dress in the hippie days. I played my first game of spin-the-bottle in 1968, so I was around to see it first-hand.

By the way, my parents met and fell in love while attending university in Berkeley. I have always thought it was a beautiful town. (Caitlin hails from Berkeley);)

Sueki said:
Hi Ash,
Have a look here. There are quite a few chains of office, some using pearls. And plenty more pearl jewellery, too.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbctwo/noise/?programme=tudors

Hi Seuki,

That was the start of the Era of pearls in the early 1500's but that verrsion is "Sooo Hollywoodized....:rolleyes: " at lest this version has a cute Henry VIII;) .... bad garb Just like in Elizabeth the Golden age and in THAT movie she barely wore pearls at all.. One of her Nicknames was The pearl Queen after all. I must say thoguht Cate Blanchette makes a great Queen Elizabeth I though...

Anyway I know there are a few extant pieces and portraits with Chains of office with pearls in them. I was only stating I have never made any with many pearls.... None of my comissions wanted them.. But I just may someday make one for myself for my garb... Oh boy there I go making my "someday I ought to do this or that" list Even bigger... ROFLMAO. I ought to Quit thinking and getting Ideas..:eek:

cheers

Happy Halloween!

Ash

Back