Ancient Roman Pearls

N

nlerner

A two thousand year-old golden earring with pearls and emeralds was found during the excavation of David's City in Jerusalem.

earing2_wa.jpg

The girl wearing the earring is one of the archeologist team.
According to the experts on the site, this earring was made in the Roman period, between the first century BC and the beginning of the fourth century AD.

Hopefully I'll find a full translation of the article and pass it on later.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh wow! Is that beautiful! Any information on how it was found/preserved? It appears to be in amazing condition.

That is a beautiful earring, and the young woman wears it so well! Hope they didn't find just one--------

(Translated by Eli Gur from an article in the Haaretz newspaper by Nadav Shragai, 9 Nov. 08)

earing.jpg

A two thousand year-old gold earring, set with pearls and precious stones, was found in an archeological excavation being carried out in the David‘s City area net to the Jerusalem city walls.

The earring is fashioned from a gold loop with a large pearl set in its center. Two identical gold pendants are attached to the main loop, each set with a pearl and an emerald. The emerald is held in a gold cup-like setting which attaches it to the main loop with a small ring, also made of gold. A smaller pearl is attached to the other side of the emerald with a gold pin that passes through a hole drilled through the pearl.

According to Dr. Doron Ben-Ami and Yana Chronovitz, directors of the dig from the Antiquities Authority, ”the earring was preserved in an amazing condition and it looks like it was made yesterday.“ According to what is known about ancient jewelry, the earring, which was found in the excavation of a building from the Byzantine period (fourth to fifth century AD), was made earlier in the Roman period (first century BC to the beginning of the fourth century AD). Gold jewelry set with pearls and precious stones were in use throughout the Roman empire from the eastern provinces to Britain.

That is just so amazing. From the description, it sounds as though jewelry-making techniques haven't changed all that much in 2,000 years. I wish they had been more specific about how it was preserved, the emerald and pearl being such soft stones. It's just so interesting!

Nora, this is a beautiful story. Thank you. Having wandered around some archeological digs in Israel, it is amazing to think of something like that suddenly showing up! And it is so beautifully preserved, and, as Wendy has said, so completely wearable in a contemporary setting. Now, where did they put the other one...?

thanks for the article and picture. I have studied jewelry from antiquity for many years and the techniques really have not changed that much ... just the styles. I am always amazed at how well some of the pieces are preserved. Keep these articles coming!

What is the possibility that it is older than 2,000 years? Could it possibly date back to David? What distinguishes it as Roman?

most metalworking techniques have not changed since antiquity. Think of the work done by Romans, Greeks and Egyptians. But the finding of this earring makes me wonder yet again - did the Romans do anything except scatter their belongings where ever they went?
Whatever else archeologists are looking for, up pops some roman in every dig (well, not in America, but just about everywhere else!)

Here's a close-up from this morning's newspaper, but without any additional information. Enjoy.

earing1_wa.jpg
Photo by Clara Amit, Israel Antiquities Authority

What is the possibility that it is older than 2,000 years? Could it possibly date back to David? What distinguishes it as Roman?

There are a thousand years between David's time and the Romans.

Ancient jewelry can be identified by style, technique and, if there is organic material, like pearls, by a carbon-14 test.

I believe that this one was very well protected, to be found in such a perfect state. Don't worry about the other one, Nerida...... this one will end up in the museum and many, many copies will be made all over the world. (Nerida, have you been here before?)

If anything new will show up on the subject, I'll post it immediately.

Last edited by a moderator:
But the finding of this earring makes me wonder yet again - did the Romans do anything except scatter their belongings where ever they went?
Whatever else archeologists are looking for, up pops some roman in every dig

Gold lasts and the Romans were everywhere.
They conquered you just like they did us. Remember? ;)

Amazing, how well everything is preserved! The gold looks like 22k or 24 k gold and the pearls are beautiful. Nora, thanks for the pics and the article.

Thanks for posting this, Nora.
What a beautiful earring - and the pearls seem to be in amazing condition.

That's a good one to bring up next time when you hear someone complaining that pearls (or emeralds) are not durable enough ;)

Anyone knows what makes these old buried pearls extra irridescent? The effect barely shows in the pictures, but it seems to be there.
Those being larger pearls, they must be quite a sight with the tell-tale rainbow on them :cool:

Back