Advice regarding pearl purchase..

Wow! Yes, I think 50 inches of Tahitians should keep you very happy. Looking forward to photos. :)

The effort PP goes to giving exceptional customer service when an error occurs truly seems diminished by calling the replacement pearls a "guilt strand". Who is gloating over this?

My apologies if anyone was offended. My impression was that this was simply a cute, affectionate nickname which recognized the special effort put into exceeding any expectations a customer might have about an original strand lost to a customer due to a webpage glitch when offering a replacement. It was coined during PP's Tahitian sale iirc because the volume of sales overwhelmed the website and unfortunately resulted in some special items being double sold, and this was a way of reassuring newcomers about how much effort vendors here go to make things right. (Including offering an even nicer product at the same price point). It was not intended as gloating. Just excited celebration of the person's good fortune that even though something didn't work out as planned, it would end up being a lucky accident in the end.

I haven't ever been offended by the term. It's sort of turned something that has been a negative drawback of taking individual product photos into a positive for people who miss out. We always try to make sure they get something better than the original.

Wow! Yes, I think 50 inches of Tahitians should keep you very happy. Looking forward to photos. :)

Oooh, I hope it's the 50 inches of blue-green baroque Tahitians that I've been eyeing on the PP site forever! I love that colour! I have a short blue-green strand from that batch that I wear constantly! I have to admit that if that's the one, I've been tempted by it many times but I've realized that a rope isn't terribly practical for me (turns out I'm super clumsy with things that are too long around my neck). So if that's the one, I'd be super excited to see pictures! Of course, I'd be super excited to see pictures even if it's a different rope.

Oh I really think you'll love 50" of Tahitians! Doubled, tripled, twisted... so many options!

Yes, cmd2014, I think it is that same one. Glad you are happy with the look of the pearls then. I'm sort of regretting cancelling that other strand order, but at least Mr Shepherd knows that there will be another sale in the future at some point when it' s time for me to choose another one like it! Pokiness, that's what I thought too- gives me a variety of options.

Pokiness ... you're back LOL :) Peonyrose, I can't wait to see your 50" of Tahitians rope!

Yay. Mine are my favourite solid colour strand. The luster is gorgeous and the blue-green body colour really somehow makes the pearls have an extra level of life to them that pops when you wear them. They look great with cool colours. I wear them all the time with black and charcoal grey.

I'll upload a picture if I can find one and find the uploading instructions again. This picture makes them seem a bit lighter than they are. But you can see the luster. I'm so excited for you!

image.jpg

Those are gorgeous!
this is one of the Rikitea strands?

Last edited:
Nope, this was an off round blue-green body colour, peacock overtone baroque strand from PP's Tahitian sale (from the 5600 loose pearl lot). I think it's the same lot that the strand that peonyrose's new rope came from. I have drooled over the Rikitea strands though. They are gorgeous!

Oh Peonyrose - I see the PP 50 inch Tahitian rope is no longer on the site. If that is the one you purchased, it is a very special Tahitian piece. Many of the Tahitians sold during the special August Tahitian sale (and I think your rope has been on the website since that time) were from the lot of 5,600 baroque Tahitians. I purchased a rope from that lot, and mine was described as being from Rikitea. I think your pearls are sisters to mine.

TRope08182014desc.jpgTRope08182014b1.jpgTRope08182014box.jpgTRope_8830.jpg

Yes, that was the strand. Wow guys! Those Are amazing pearls! I think my strand may be smaller diameter pearls, what size are those ones cmd2014 & Red? Necklace currently stuck at customs so I have to wait for them to call & pay the duties. Waiting, waiting....

Mine are 54-inches of AAA 8.4-12.7 mm drop Tahitians, as shown in the description. In the neck shot I have it doubled, so the smallest and the largest pearls are in back. Note that the drops reverse directions when doubled this way. This is my favorite way to wear my rope, because it keeps the pearls out of the soup, as they say.

Hoping you can get your pearls out of customs soon.

Thanks Red, missed the size bit somehow in the original listing you posted. From memory I think the strand I ordered was a bit over 8 to a bit over 11 mm, and 4 inches shorter, so could be considered the size down I suppose, but the main body of pearls will probably be similar.

Mine are 8.5 to 12.5 mm. If I'm remembering right, yours may be just a smidge under 12 in the front. Plus, smaller sizes often have the best colour/luster. Hopefully they clear customs soon!

Duty can be such a pain.. I have friends in England and they say every package they receive gets charged... a very diligent customs department ! Most of the stuff I send to America goes through without charge. I don't know if there is some limit you have to exceed or if I've just been lucky. I guess you just to be mentally prepared to spend a goodly percentage more than retail price when buying overseas. Hope you don't get charged too much ! Photos as soon as you can please..that strand looks gorgeous!

I agree with Pattye on the use of the term "guilt strand". I cringed each time it was used over on the other forum. It has a negative connotation and the way it has been used does sound like the poster is gloating.

I totally agree. This word makes the whole thread seem unseemly. I'm disappointed in its use here.

Back