Add-a-pearl heirloom

C

carianne

Hello,

I have a niece that I would like to give something special to. My husband and I were thinking about the Add-a-Pearl necklaces. Last night we visited a local jeweler and found our options for pearls included the add-a-pearls for about $60/each for a 6.5mm pearl or a freshwater strand for ~$135. I do not know how many pearls would be on a strand, or even how long of a strand is most desireable, but I do know that an 18-year-old girl likely would not know the difference (she is an infant right now). Is it worth it to spend so much on the add-a-pearl (likely several thousand)?

I do not know much about pearls, but I know these are cultured and 6.5mm is the largest size they offer. I also read Lynne's story in this forum and saw the result - her necklace, valued at $2300, would likely fetch only $300 - $500 on the market. I do not want to be the fool spending the $2300 if I could find a necklace just a nice for a fraction of the retail price!

Please help - thank you.

Carie

Hi Carianne,

The obvious solution is to get a nice full pearl strand now and a short gold chain that is "cut into two halfs." Then you can start cutting out the pearls from the ends of the strand you bought and have them strung onto the chain as the little girl grows up to be a woman. This will also guarantee that you always have matching pearls to give. I recommend top-grade freshwater pearls for the purpose as they provide the best value for your money and are durable enough.

Zeide

If she is an infant, and the strand is to have value when she is 18, go with a freshwater strand. Don't do $60 per pearl, though. At this price you could build a nice, perfect round Tahitian strand. With pearls as small as 6.5mm it will take approximately 65 to make an 18-inch strand. Or nearly $4000 for a strand you can buy finished for under $200...

Thank you

Thank you

Thank you both so much for your ideas. I liked the idea of investing in the necklace over a period of 18 years, but I like the idea of saving thousands even more! I have never heard of a "necklace cut into two halves" but I'm sure my local jeweler has. Where is the best place to look for high quality freshwater pearls? Should I be on the lookout for anything special? I really am at the jewelers mercy in this situation!

Thanks again -

Carie

Also, why freshwater and not Akoya? Thanks again -

Carianne

The recommendation for freshwater pearls was made because freshwater pearls are pure nacre and thus much more durable then their saltwater counterparts.

Hi Carie,
You can definitely do Akoya pearls if you prefer but don't string them on a chain. The chain will ruin the Akoya pearls. If they are taken care of, there is no reason that they will deteriorate if you are buying high quality Akoya pearls. Freshwater pearls are more durable than their delicate counterparts but care is key! Akoya pearls are like fine lace! They are both very nice and delicate so gentle care is necessary to preserve their value!

I've had many customers who have bought the entire strand and then they give the gift to the infant. At her 4 year birthday or Christmas, you can have it strung to her necklace length for her to wear on special occasions since she is old enough to wear pearls a necklace at this age without choking herself. As she gets older, you can just have it restrung with the additional pearls so it grows with her. Another idea is to purchase the full strand and simply cut it apart and give her one inch of pearls per birthday so on her 16th birthday, she will have 16" of pearls that are ready to be strung and knotted on silk to wear!

question

question

I am new to this forum and for sometime now I have been collecting freshwater pearls in California but I am going to Florida in the Orlando area as well as Fort Lauderdale and some other places. I wanted to know if anyone knew of any places in Florida that I can get freshwater pearls that are not drilled yet. I hope someone can help. I am collecting these pearls as gifts for my kids and some of my nieces. I thought if I held on to them long enough (till they were 18 years old or so) that they then can hold onto them or make their own necklaces out of them. Can anyone help? :)
Thank you
Shannon

Hi Shannon,

Since you are collecting undrilled freshwater pearls, do I understand you correctly that you are looking for local natural (wild catch) pearls? Most freshwater species in the U.S. are protected and the Native tribes are allowed some quotas. If you are looking for natural undrilled local freshwater pearls from Florida you thus may want to contact some of the tribal councils in the area. They are likely to know who would have some.

Zeide

Back