abalone "island" pearl

boo

One of my Christmas presents came today, and I got to spend a little time with it before it gets wrapped and placed in my stocking. I had visited J Marcus' website to look at his work and saw 2 abalone mabe pearls on it that caught my eye. I was very torn, but ultimately decided on this one because of my fondness for Hawai'i. The pearl reminds me very much of an island rising up out of the sea. (There's actually a thin blue ring around the base of the dome that my photos don't capture, but it does reinforce the island imagery)

It simply isn't possible for me to capture the beauty of the pearl in a photo, but I will post several anyway in the hope that you can get a feel for how lovely and changeable it is. I have been marveling at it and playing with it for quite a while. It glows so brightly that holding the pearl is like catching a pool of sunlight in the palm of your hand.

Attachments

• IMG_4385ab550.jpg
    IMG_4385ab550.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_4402ab550.jpg
    IMG_4402ab550.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_4393ab550.jpg
    IMG_4393ab550.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_4391ab550.jpg
    IMG_4391ab550.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 26
I am so pleased that it arrived in a timely fashion and that you are pleased with it. Thank you for the kind words. I'm glad to read that you appreciate the ring of deep blue around the brown "island" center. It is something that I don't think I have run into on any other of my blister pearls. I hope that it continues to give you lasting pleasure.

Boo it's beautiful. Thanks for the photos.
And what a fabulous thing to find in your stocking.......

Boo - nice pearl. I know you see an island, but I see one of your other interests - to me it looks like something celestial... yes, please show us what you do with it. I am interested in Marcus's pearls, but wonder how best they can be utilized. They are beautifully organic, and seem to need a very gentle design touch.

Hi Boo,
The pearl is gorgeous. Do tell us what you do with it when it is "yours" officially.

I am actually at a complete loss for what to do with it - I just was afraid that if I didn't snatch it up, I would probably never see another like it again. It is a very substantial piece, so I don't think I would be able to afford the gold to make a setting for it. I considered wire wrapping, but I don't know if that would scratch the surface or not. So please feel free to give me ideas! For now, it will be a very lovely desk ornament to play with - I have trouble putting it down when pause I admire it.

How about wrapping it in clingfilm first before you wire wrap it? You can remove the clingfilm using a pair of tweezers later.

DK :)

Boo, your photos are wonderful. If it's prettier than the photos, then it's a special present indeed! ;)

Back