A single large pearl, question

alenka

I am considering purchasing a very large Tahitian single pearl or a pendant. What price range is usual for a Tahitian pearl, may be 15 mm or larger, perfect round, no defects, and good color? I always wanted to have a very large perfect pearl but not sure how much it may cost and in fact, did not see that in any in stores. An approximate price range would be helpful as I am planing to travel.
Thank you!

Take a look at the on-line retailers and see what they have on their sites. I believe Pearl Paradise will let you construct a pearl with finding (prices can vary greatly depending on metals and stones, and pearl choice). You should also check out Kamoka (they have exceptional pendants) and Kojima (LOVELY designs).

Take a look at the on-line retailers and see what they have on their sites. I believe Pearl Paradise will let you construct a pearl with finding (prices can vary greatly depending on metals and stones, and pearl choice). You should also check out Kamoka (they have exceptional pendants) and Kojima (LOVELY designs).

Thank you JerseyPearl,
I did check the sites that you have suggested but it seems that the largest Tahitian pearl offered are 12-13. I have in mind 15mm and larger, perfect, round, no defects, colourful, and I never saw anything like that but I know they do exist. I am not even sure that I can afford that as I am unaware of the price range for such rare pearls.

alenka,

The vendors all have things in stock that are not up on their websites. I suggest you either email them or else phone or use Live Chat during business hours.

Pearls of the size you mentioned absolutely do exist. If they do not have exactly what you want in stock, as them to look for it on their next buying trip to Hong Kong.

Last edited:
Where are you located? And where do you plan to travel to?

Will you be open to accepting some blemishes where the mounting can cover it or when it is on the bottom or back of the pearl? It could make a huge difference to the pricing.

Kamoka Pearls has some single pendants that are beautiful and in the size range and quality you want. I recently bought a beautiful drop shaped pearl from them that is perfect in every way.

Where are you located? And where do you plan to travel to?

Will you be open to accepting some blemishes where the mounting can cover it or when it is on the bottom or back of the pearl? It could make a huge difference to the pricing.

I am in New York and will be traveling to China.

I would like one without blemishes at all, a perfect one with nice color but I have no idea what price range one is expected to pay for a pearl like that.

Just a note here, if you do spend a lot for one large, top quality pearl, I'd strongly consider getting it set in a pendant rather than a ring (and make sure the pendant is not on a very long chain where it's likely to bang into things).

I have some large pearl rings and love them, but a ring is more likely to take a beating than a pendant (that's on a short chain). The golden south sea pearl below is 16.5mm. As soon as I got it, I promptly dropped it and it went bouncing across the pavement and got a little ding in it. So it would not have remained a perfect pearl for long anyway! I also accidentally bang a pearl ring into something now and then when I'm wearing one, although I haven't noticed any dings from that so far. Up by the neck is much better protected.

3 rings 4.jpg

Last edited:
Are you looking at pricing so you know what to pay while in China ...that's how I read it ... not that you want to buy it here? If it's that big , and almost round and a clean surface with good luster ( you know the bigger they are the less sharp the luster tends to be) ... I'd think it would run you a few thousand USD ..... like Jeremy said .. getting over 15mm and that quality makes them more rare and more expensive. Frankly I think his 15mm for 975 is a darn good deal ... and I can buy wholesale lol At least that gives you an idea as to costs. Definitely do an online search but keep in mind that every factor effects the price.. each mm is a big difference in $$ and the price jumps from near round - round... but a search will give you a ball park so at least you have an idea what a retail range would be.

I would also add that cleanliness and color are two major factors in this size range. It will be nearly impossible, and incredibly expensive, to find a single fine color pearl that is perfectly clean over 15 mm. What you want is a pearl with only one spot because this is where it is drilled. Two spots spaced far apart will affect the value in a big way, because the pearl cannot be set/drilled to be perfectly clean.

Color is a big deal because pearls this size are almost always from a second nucleation, and older pearl oysters do not tend to produce fine nacre, so the pearls are usually a bit dull and lack fine color. Take a look at this photo. The pearls on the left are a handful of 8-9 mm I grabbed from AAA stock. The pearls on the right are a handful of 14-15 mm with one 15.5 mm pearl.

Attachments

• IMG_1829.jpg
    IMG_1829.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 27
Jeremy was good to add in the other factors ( I was a bit lazy in my response ) ...there are quite a few when you list them and they all effect the value. And that's a great photo to show the difference in the colour and luster between the sizes ... those a really nice big pearls but the difference in colour &luster between the smaller ones and the huge ones.. no contest. ( ooooh the colour on those little ones....YUM .... gorgeous !! )

alenka,

If you are buying in China, be careful as irradiated big freshwater pearls maybe passed off as Tahitians.

Back