A clam pearl or not?

meredith

Community member
Here it is - is it a clam pearl? Creamy colour, very regular shape, extremely smooth underside ... A slight flame pattern can be seen around the top with the looking glass. It comes from the Flores Sea. Measurements 16 x 10mm, approximate weight 4,56g ... Is it a clam pearl? Is it nice? I like it ...

Attachments

• P1220676.JPG
    P1220676.JPG
    94.1 KB · Views: 31
  • P1220691.JPG
    P1220691.JPG
    119.6 KB · Views: 29
  • P1220698.JPG
    P1220698.JPG
    106.5 KB · Views: 34
A nice shape but the images are not as clear as the ones of your probable cultured pearl. Given the size and appearance it is probably a Tridacna (clam) pearl, possibly gigas. Do you see any flame structure (likely quite fine) anywhere?

Try shining a spot light at it from above in an area where the ambient light is low. A small flashlight should work. And look for a "ring of fire" flame pattern that follows the light.

Not if it has a flame pattern. ;) Maybe you should have it made into a ring.

That is some pearl! It probably did come from some kind of clam.

I see others like those claiming to be Tridacna gigas pearls, though the only t gigas pearls I have ever seen in situ, are the large convoluted, brain-looking pearls with no flame patterns anywhere. I really wonder about the tiny ones with flames...maybe they are actually from a smaller species. This is an interesting mystery!

I agree with the Geek, get it set, but do not drill it; no clam pearl I know of, whether freshwater or salt water has pearls that can be safely drilled.

Back