4 cm / 1.6" long pearl, what type is it?

Morten_S

Hi,

I just purchased a large pearl for a neckless. it is 4 cm or 1.6" long and has a weight of 13.3 g. Do you have any idea what kind of pearl I have purchased?

Thank you for the help.

Best regards
Morten

Attachments

• 434457_1.jpg
    434457_1.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 25
  • 434457_2.jpg
    434457_2.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 26
Chinese freshwater fireball shaped pearl. Lovely setting for a beautiful pearl.

Lovely! Looks like a cultured freshwater pearl from China. The color would be natural. The shape comes from the bead inside.
Edit: fireball or flameball as Red said. The name refers to the fact that the pearl has a "tail." These pearls form when a bead is placed into an already-existing pearl sac from previous grafting in the same mussel.

Thank you for the Nice feedback and help. I really appreciate it. I only paid 220 usd on an auction. Is it worth having estimated in case of insurance issues? In Denmark I will only get what I paid if I don have a reputable dealer estimate

I don't think you need an official appraisal for insurance purposes (i.e. replacement value.) Just keep a record of your receipt.

Fireballs are fairly common, this is a nice example, with a smooth tail and large. Prices go up with size, lustre and swirlyness of tail (think of the ruffled skirt of a flamenco dancer)
The gold is worth as much as the pearl
What someone pays for something is not what its value is for insurance

I agree with Katbran: I don't know in Denmark, but in France, about 200€ for only this gold setting, without pearl, is already not expensive! And if it is an artisan's creation, as it looks like, that's a very good deal... Except that nobody appreciates real work's worth, now.

Last edited:
I'm going to post a warning..I've seen fireballs set similarly on ebay - the metal is not solid gold. It's either gold plated onto a base metal or gold plated onto silver (being stamped is not a guarantee)
If you can, get the metal checked while still time to return

Yes, that would change the debate! And if it's stamped 18K, but only gold plated, it's a fraud.
I am a little bit surprised: this setting is especially customized for this pearl shape, and each flameball shape is different. But now, everything is profitable to be produced by low-paying workers.
Even a lot of luxury jewels, so much expensive, are made by poor hands payed with a handful of rice. It's a shame.

Last edited:
Well, no that metal isn't specifically for that pearl, it could be easily bent to fit lots of fireballs (or souffles for that matter)

I am almost certain that it is 18k gold. I bought it from we auction house in Sweden with a good reputation and in Sweden and Denmark it has to be stamped with makers mark too. I have not reviewed the pendant yet, but I guess it's not a new pendant, but I can tell from the maker mark. I will let you know. In case it turnsout to be something other than pure gold I can get my money back. But in Sweden they often make nice jewelry and the standard is 18k gold for everything

Always sensible for a country to have a national assay system and if you bought from an auction house and not via eBay you are almost certainly fine. From an auction in the EU I would assume they check the carat of the metal before selling
Thanks for the info

... And thus, that's a good deal. In France too, stamps have a real worth, and 18k gold is the standart. Europeen rules are often heavy, but there's not only for annoyances, sometimes. But now, what about your question concerning your pendant worth? Only you consider worked gold gram price, and you'll see you are certainly winner:)

Back