1924 pearl necklace from Niagra Falls

Connie

I inherited a 1924 pearl necklace from Niagra Falls. My great-grandparents came from Canada and went back in 1924 for a visit. They purchased the necklace for my grandmother. The story about the trip is in our family geneology book as well as a photo of them at Niagra. After Grandma passed away my oldest sister inherited the necklace which she then gave to me. The necklace is in it's original box. I am interested in selling the necklace as I don't wear jewelery and do not have children to pass onto. Is the necklace of any value? Should I have it appraised? Thank you.

I can take a photo.
Yes, they purchased the necklace the necklace there. Not sure which side, Canada or U.S. . There is a whole story about this being their second trip because the first time there was a Canadian law that said a person had to have proof of having a certain amount of money before crossing the border and Grandpa wouldn't tell them his personal finacial information, he was very stubborn.

photo of 1924 necklace

photo of 1924 necklace

sorry about the lighting, sun is low and it is cloudy here.

Attachments

• BlueGreyBaroqueAkoya&Keishis2 small
    BlueGreyBaroqueAkoya&Keishis2 small
    43.4 KB · Views: 44
  • BlueGreyBaroqueAkoya&Keishis3 small
    BlueGreyBaroqueAkoya&Keishis3 small
    93.2 KB · Views: 47
  • PP Beader special earrings
    PP Beader special earrings
    15.7 KB · Views: 47
  • PP Beader special necklace
    PP Beader special necklace
    12.6 KB · Views: 45
Would you mind taking a picture with the macro setting on your camera? Try to get close to the pearls, one shot at the center and another at the ends. The macro setting is the flower.

Sure, I can try. Nikon Coolpix camera, doesn't have a very good macro setting, but I will give it a shot. Thank you.

macro view of center pearls and clasp

macro view of center pearls and clasp

here is a couple of macro views. Will these work?

Attachments

• DSCN1568.jpg
    DSCN1568.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 34
  • DSCN1573.jpg
    DSCN1573.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 35
  • DSCN1570.jpg
    DSCN1570.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 33
  • Necklace  similar to that  viewed in portrait of Elizabeth Brydges  1589
    Necklace similar to that viewed in portrait of Elizabeth Brydges 1589
    33.5 KB · Views: 38
The graduation is similar to mid-century akoya, but 1924 would be a bit early for that, and the strand is too long. Looking at the close ups, it appears to be a strand of faux pearls, not a strand of genuine pearls. Someone with good pearl knowledge should be able to tell definitively just from picking them up. Unfortunately, good pearl knowledge eliminates most jewelers. If there is a jeweler in your area that specializes in pearls, it might be a good idea to stop by and have them hold the strand.

we are located in Humboldt County, in the middle of nowhere. Eureka has a few jewel stores but I don't know how trained they are. I can find out. Thank you for your time in looking at the necklace. I have enjoyed reading the forums too. If I ever get more information about the necklace, I will share. Regards, Connie

Connie - don't pay money to a jeweller to have them looked at - they are definitely imitation. They're pretty - keep them for their sentimental value!

Back