Please help with advice

Kathy Jo

Hello, I have these pearls that belonged to my grandmother. I love them but know nothing about the history. I took them to a jeweler and he said the clasp is not silver because there are no silver markings. He said they were not worth having appraised. If this is true it's ok I still love them. They are 21 and one half inches long with the clasp. I would very much appreciate any information you can give.

Attachments

• 20180312_155019_resized.jpg
    20180312_155019_resized.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 31
  • 20180312_155049_resized.jpg
    20180312_155049_resized.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 44
  • 20180312_155133_resized.jpg
    20180312_155133_resized.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 29
  • 20180312_155153_resized.jpg
    20180312_155153_resized.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 39
  • 20180312_155217_resized.jpg
    20180312_155217_resized.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 43
Sounds like your jeweler was being lazy - just because there isn't an assay mark doesn't necessarily mean it's not a precious metal. Anyways, the clasp looks silver to me and the pearls look like cultured akoya. A nice strand. Some of the knots are stretched out, would be good to restring them.

Those are beautiful, and yes, I think your jeweler was being lazy. Have them appraised because it looks like it could be Mikimoto, based on the clasp. I'll leave that determination to other more experienced forum members. If I were you, I'd have them appraised, restrung and then wear the heck out of them.

Welcome to PG! A lovely keepsake to be certain. Couple of observations: very first, is the clasp. The M in the clamshell is a stamp used by Mikimoto. I would highly recommend that you contact them. The pearls appear themselves to be in wonderful condition, however the strand is in need of being restrung. In any regard, I would think whatever their actual retail value, to you they are indeed priceless. A wonderful treasure to have.

Your grandmother had excellent taste. Those look like very nice akoya pearls. Since the clasp has the Mikimoto trademark, they are probably top quality akoyas. You should contact Mikimoto America and see what they can tell you, and have them restrung.

Thank you everyone, that's very encouraging. The jeweler was very rude and dismissive, he said he had never heard of that brand. I have decided to shop elsewhere in the future. This is a picture of the box, it does say Mikimoto. I don't have a dealer near me but I'm planning a trip to San Jose, Ca. in the fall and there is one there, I will set it up to get them restrung. I love to wear them, they are a treasure to me even if they were worthless. 20180312_155459_resized.jpg

Kathy Jo,
Welcome to the forum!
A lovely vintage treasure, extra special because they belonged to your Grandmother. Clearly Mikimoto and from an earlier time when akoyas had thicker nacre than most do these days. The necklace will be shorter after being restrung because the silk is so stretched now. The value most likely would be in the hundreds, not thousands, which is why your jeweler may have not recommended an appraisal.

Sorry about posts approved out of order...I was shoveling our driveway. :)

A jeweler who never heard of Mikimoto?! :eek: Many jewelers don't know much about pearls, but that is a new low.

Wow! What a treasure. I am shocked by your jewelers response. Who doesn't know Mikimoto pearls? I hope you love them, they are special in more ways than one.

Welcome Kathy Jo to PG! Beautiful Heirloom! The second I saw the stamp, I was shocked the jeweler didn't recognize it. I'm glad you came here to share your pearls, and I look forward to seeing them restrung and a neck shot with those pretty akoyas!

I would seriously question the education or intent of a jeweler who says he doesn't know one of the biggest and oldest brands in pearls and says they aren't silver bc they aren't marked. Does he buy jewelry? Your pearls do need restringing, but the clasp, box, and pearl look to be in excellent condition. The clasp is really neat. What a wonderful heirloom!

Back