A Needle Thread

Nerida

OK, I've tried lots of different types of needles - some intentionally, some because I wasn't sure exactly what I'd ordered online at the time...

What is your favourite - you know, right flexibility, length, etc??

Good thread! I use medium length and weight brass, twisted. Medium length and fine aluminum, twisted. And lately I've fallen in love with rigid, #10 3" by John James.

I use twisted beading needles extra rigid from Firemountain. I like these because, if I'm careful, I can re-use them and they don't bend and curl so easily as other needles I've tried.
My absolute favourites are Beadalon collapsible eye flexible beading needles; but I've only been able to find 5 inch length which is too long for me and very expensive.

Thanks, Knotty, Sueki,

I agree about the 5 inch needles - just too long. The ones I have at the moment are just way too flexible, and curl much too easily. I haven't ordered others as I have so many of these still sitting at home.

But earlier on in my knotting time, I was using what I thought was the perfect needle - it has a collapsible eye, but wasn't too long... now I'm wondering what it was?

Hi Nerida,
Oh yes, grrrr, the times I've strung with a curled, spiraled needle because it went almost immediately and left me with almost an entire necklace length still to go....:mad:

I did once find a site that sold the collapsible eye needles in 2.5 inch length, but it disappeared before I could order.

I bought some ultrafine stainless steel ones, but I think they're going to be too flexible. I think they're about 3".

Hi Nerida,
Oh yes, grrrr, the times I've strung with a curled, spiraled needle because it went almost immediately and left me with almost an entire necklace length still to go....:mad:

Sueki, that's exactly what happened to me this morning when I started this thread - that's why I started it!! Have I finished that necklace? No, I did a restring job on some smaller pearls instead -finished, complete and back with their happy owner now! I am almost considering starting again with the first necklace!

There was a thread sometime back which suggested using a length of copper wire from household electrical wire for needles. Works great. Only snag is getting the end smooth so it doesn't catch but you can make a bunch from a 12 inch piece of plastic covered wire which has 30 strands or more in it. Just lay the thread over the middle of your chosen piece, fold the wire and twist.
barbie
I think maybe Caitlin suggested it?

Nerida,

I use flexible needles with collapsible eyes too, try the Beadshack.com.
Each package holds just 4 needles, so order some packages for furture need. Price was about 5 AUD, if I remember correctly. And The Beadshack is in Australia...

Hi Barbie,
you are the very first member to respond to a post I wrote, the copper wire namely. It really works fine if you have nothing else.

Last edited by a moderator:
I beg your pardon Inge. I remembered the advice but not that it was you who wrote it. Thanks. It works a treat. The only thing you have to be careful with is how you twist the ends so they don't catch. Easy.
barbie

Hi Barbie, I was just so glad that someone noticed this little but good advice. I am never twisting the copper but see to it that the one half is a little bit longer than the second, that way it is even easier to get the ends through the holes. But you are right, it is very easy to catch or even worse to get into the silk and split it by doing so. What did you think about my cupboard-doors idea for matching the pearls?

Hi Jerin - I recall this post about the copper wire well, but when I first read it, hadn't ever thought that I would be knotting ever... I have a distinctly un-handy man husband, so might just have to do it myself...

If you just can get a tool with which to "scale" the plastic so the copper wire gets freed, you have done half the job.

I tried Inge's idea this week, using the fine copper wire. I twisted it and work hardened it a bit by tapping it with my nylon head hammer. Made it a bit stiffer. Great idea!

As I mentioned in another thread, I use stiff needles and a wide variety at that.

Depending on the job at hand the size and length can vary.
I use different brands because they might say "number 10" but the difference in thickness can be quite substantial.

I have put a link to the supplier I use, she carries a great selection of needles and has really good service.http://kandrasbeads.com

I only use bendy needles when I find the holes too small for the stiff needles, and on rare occasions I resort to making my own from copperwire.

Regards
Bernadette

Back