Hoping these look Tahitian to you..

Antiguamarie1

I’m not sure these uploaded, but hopefully you can see them!
I know buying on eBay is risky business but until my kids are done with law school I’m stuck with eBay estate sales! The seller was told they are Tahitian and admits that she doesn’t know for sure. She checked the drill hole at my suggestion and the color is the same there. Much appreciate your thoughts on if u think they are dyed freshwater vs real Tahitian. 7386FF05-B0BE-406B-83BE-DD6A6E2B1C26.jpg
086D2946-390A-4404-8FE7-93531BA3EA98.jpg
2D8B5E59-6E7D-4AC8-8A26-DB6DA32E674B.jpg

Attachments

• 0B29CEEC-F60E-4081-854B-B4D5EF65D1F7.jpg
    0B29CEEC-F60E-4081-854B-B4D5EF65D1F7.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 41
I'm leaning heavily toward dyed freshwaters.

That being said, if the price is right for dyed FWP they can be a nice substitute for Tahitians. I wore dyed FWP for years before owning my first Tahitian stand.

Thank you, Pearl Dreams. It’s a 42 inch strand with approx 7mm pearls, bidding starts at $180 - would that be a right price for pretty dyed FWPs? I haven’t bought a strand before and agree that FWPs can be a good consolation prize to accompany my Tahitians - I have earrings and a pendant - also from EBay but from original buyers with their original purchase certifications.

I think that is way too expensive for smallish dyed fwp, all the more because they are estate/pre-owned (pearls do not hold value on resale.)

Seems to me the seller is banking on people believing they are actually Tahitians. I'd walk away.

If you like circled Tahitians Wen Pearls on Etsy has some affordable strands in your budget range. They are not Pearl Paradise quality but still pretty.

il_794xN.2151467290_5cgr.jpg

7mm is too small for Tahitians, and $180 is too expensive for dyed. Freshwater pearls.

Pearl Paradise is having a 20% off sale, and has some good deals on real Tahitians right now. The least expensive strands are $780 - 20% = $624 and they are gorgeous.

They are dyed freshwaters, and not that great in quality. Glad you asked here. So many people on ebay and other sites will say the big pearl names without really knowing what they're selling. Most Chinese sellers I've seen that sell super cheap post photos of real Tahitians or SSPs or Akoyas and then send you freshwaters. You'll know who they are when you see the same photo of pearls used in several auctions. Stay away from them.

7mm is too small for Tahitians, and $180 is too expensive for dyed. Freshwater pearls.

Pearl Paradise is having a 20% off sale, and has some good deals on real Tahitians right now. The least expensive strands are $780 - 20% = $624 and they are gorgeous.

As a general rule of thumb, you are correct on their size....however, there are some smaller sizes of cultured Tahitians and South Seas available. They are quite rare. I think Pearl Paradise had a few strands a couple of years ago of the Ts. I've been trying to find more of the small golden SSPs to no avail.
To the original poster, those look like dyed freshwaters to my eye as well. On the price, PP has a lovely dyed freshie strand at that same price point before the 20% discount. If Tahitians are not in your budget, but you like the look of a darker pearl: https://www.pearlparadise.com/colle...mm-18-inch-aa-black-freshwater-pearl-necklace

I think the circles are a gorgeous alternative until my price point improves! I’ll check them out, thanks!

Thanks to all for the advice, tips and links. I’ll be looking into all and staying away from eBay till I can discern the difference for myself — although some are obvious to even me, like the colorful large strands of “Genuine Tahitians” for $13!

Back