Tahitian Studs too big?

lemonade3

Hi Everyone -
My first post, and thought I’d ask some advice of you all. I’ve caught the pearl bug, and have been looking to upgrade my current white stud pearls (not sure if they are FW or Akoya - probably FW - they were a gift years ago). I pulled the trigger a few days ago when Kamoka Pearl was having their sale. Got a pair of Tahitians that look fabulous, but I am so bummed about how they look on my ears. I think they are too big and fall forward too much. Size is 9.5mm. I’m not sure what size the white studs are, but as you can see in the picture, it is quite a difference. Now I will say that when I got my ears pierced many moons ago, the person that did them really did a poor job. They aren’t even and aren’t centered in the middle of my lobe. I try not to let that bother me, but boy, it is really obvious now. What do you all think? Honest opinions are much appreciated!! Hope I have uploaded the pics correctly.

Attachments

• A7F12F08-E730-421A-AFC1-66EED3DD70FB.jpg
    A7F12F08-E730-421A-AFC1-66EED3DD70FB.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 48
  • 2A5DA2DF-EBA5-4309-9FF5-7EB7F8725C1E.jpg
    2A5DA2DF-EBA5-4309-9FF5-7EB7F8725C1E.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 49
  • ABE173D7-064E-4979-B373-745662264684.jpg
    ABE173D7-064E-4979-B373-745662264684.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 47
  • 77D45C45-241E-477E-9CBD-54F433589C55.jpg
    77D45C45-241E-477E-9CBD-54F433589C55.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 50
Gorgeous studs! So I have a recommendation for you...actually two recommendations. First, try Lobe Wonder (sold on Amazon). They are small oval patches you stick to the back of your ear lobe that helps to stabilize larger earrings. Alternatively, recommendation #2 is buying larger butterfly backs (but also more expensive!).

I agree 100% with what JerseyPearl wrote. They will look great on you when they "sit up" the way they should.

Thanks for the input! My issue with the butterfly backs is that on one ear I have a bit of scar tissue, which makes that ear slightly thicker than normal. There just isn’t enough of the post left to really get a good grip on the back. I’ve had trouble with the back coming off, etc. my solution to this has been a pair of Chrysmela Catch backs, which have been lifesavers! They really stay put and I don’t worry. I’ll try Lobe Wonder and see if that will work. I just worry that I look like a complete clown in these studs. It could be that I’m just not used to them?

Last edited:
You do not look like a "complete clown" by any means! I would definitely try Lobe Wonder. They're kind of like a bandaid strip (minus the gauze part) cut into an oval. You just cover the back of your piercing with the patch and push the post through. They are super thin and don't add bulk. Kind of like Spanx for your ears! I am in no way affiliated with the product, just a very happy customer!

You guys are awesome!!! Thanks so much for the positivity!! I will try Lobe Wonder and let you know.

I recently upgraded my studs from 7 mm to 9.5 mm and it took me a while to get used to the size. Now I love them. I got the larger earring backs, but I bought some lobe wonder for special occasions.

I have earlobe issues resulting from a friend piercing my ears when we were 16 - they're extremely mismatched. Lobe Wonder is the only reason I can wear French wires and they do help large studs stand upright. I've also found that sometimes silicone earring backs hold better when the post is slightly short. Just keep trying different things until you find the best solution.

They are not too big at all, they look wonderful. You just need more support. As others have suggested you can try lobe wonder as that's an inexpensive fix if it works. And the other option as JP mentioned, larger backs. If you want to avoid spending too much try some of the inexpensive silicone round backs with a bullet centre. Im sure you can find them on ETSY. Try for a 9 or 8 mm back and see if that works. If it does then you can always buy the proper gold ones then . Or - try some Gold Filled backs of that size and see if they work. Once you know the size that will properly support them you can buy the 14k ones.

You know you can have the posts changed, right?

You can have the posts made longer or swapped out for longer posts. Or have the pearls set on an Omega back setting.

I agree, any bench jeweler can extend the post on the earrings. They can also be soaked off and put into dangle styles, I wear these a lot.

Whatever you use for findings, make sure they are secure. (I lost a GSS stud today, and I suspect the butterfly clutch wasn't tight enough.)

Btw, I don't think the Tahitians are too big. You'll become accustomed to the size. :)

Whatever you use for findings, make sure they are secure. (I lost a GSS stud today, and I suspect the butterfly clutch wasn't tight enough.)

Btw, I don't think the Tahitians are too big. You'll become accustomed to the size. :)
I have a few clients who love threaded posts/screw on back for this very reason! Also, butterfly backs can be adjusted to tighten their grip, however, you also need to make sure the hole in the back is properly sized as well.

It is so hard to go to a larger size pearl and feel comfortable, but Kamoka Pearls are such beautiful pearls that we need to help you feel wonderful when you wear them. It's good to step out and try something new, especially when it is such a beautiful thing as a top notch Tahitian Pearl. Once you find the right back, you will love these pearls as family.

I have a few clients who love threaded posts/screw on back for this very reason! Also, butterfly backs can be adjusted to tighten their grip, however, you also need to make sure the hole in the back is properly sized as well.

Unfortunately, I found out that threaded posts make my ears hurt and itch so badly. I found it out with a pair of antique victorian diamond earrings that had platinum screw posts. I had never had a problem before with any metal or post. My jeweler told me it's a common problem.

Thanks for the input! My issue with the butterfly backs is that on one ear I have a bit of scar tissue, which makes that ear slightly thicker than normal. There just isn’t enough of the post left to really get a good grip on the back. I’ve had trouble with the back coming off, etc. my solution to this has been a pair of Chrysmela Catch backs, which have been lifesavers! They really stay put and I don’t worry. I’ll try Lobe Wonder and see if that will work. I just worry that I look like a complete clown in these studs. It could be that I’m just not used to them?

They look lovely on you. You are not used to them yet. I remember the first time I put on my 12mm South Sea studs. I thought I looked like Minnie Mouse ( She wears those big pearls- clever mouse). Now I put on 14 Mm sterling studs for a fun night out. They droop, but I actually like the look. I have plastic disks that thread on the post if i want to perk them up.

Unfortunately, I found out that threaded posts make my ears hurt and itch so badly.

I, too, have negative reactions to threaded posts. I thought it was the scratchiness.

I use silikon backs for my studs, they are about 10 -12 mm wide I think. When I use those the studs sits really centered on my earlobes, not hanging. They are also more secure. I bought a big pack of maybe 20 pairs, didn't cost much. They also work on smaller studs. I think about 9,5 mm is the perfect size for studs, I think that you will love them ones you get them to sit right.

Unfortunately, I found out that threaded posts make my ears hurt and itch so badly. I found it out with a pair of antique victorian diamond earrings that had platinum screw posts. I had never had a problem before with any metal or post. My jeweler told me it's a common problem.

Yep, I find them a bit uncomfortable to wear as well...but I do have some clients who love them. I only own one pair of threaded earrings, and I use a tiny little bit of aquaphor on the threads before inserting them into my piercing. That seems to help them go in smoothy and keeps the irritation down.

Back