Are SSPs still sketchy to buy in Palawan?

dornab

The last post on this topic was from a while ago, and the region has been developing more. I just got to Palawan for a two week vacation, and I would absolutely love to buy SSPs, but read that they get shipped out of the region and it's hard to find real/good ones in the area. Is that still the case?

We will be in coron and el nido.

P.S. This is my first time in Philippines and every tourist wears pearls here, it's going to be hard to resist a purchase!

Well that is the issue, most pearls(especially high quality ones) will not stay in Palawan. I didn't get a chance to look around the shops much when we visited the island, but what I did see wasn't good. Some of it clearly freshwater.

But I get it, buying while on location makes it more fun and you get a physical reminder of an incredible vacation.

I guess just be careful what you're buying and let us know how you make out.

You could always post photos here for opinions before committing. I hope you are able to find something!

That's a bummer. I was hoping the situation has improved. I will look in coron and el nido and post pictures if I find something.

If anyone knows of a store in these areas I would love to hear about it. It's okay if you are not sure of their quality, I take full responsibility if it ends up being fake/bad.

The peddlers would usually say Palawan pearls but almost all carry Chinese freshwater pearls. Some of the shops would carry south seas with varying degrees of quality. The shops are usually in the key city of Palawan in Puerto Princesa, maybe some souvenir shops in Coron would have SSPs. A high-end hotel/resort may also have SSPs at their souvenir shop, it won't necessarily come at bargain price though.

Be very very careful. Some of the dyed freshwater bead nucleated strands I saw in HK on September are such good imitations that they are only apparent in a box with lots more. As a quick guide, lay any strand with lots of others like it. The freshwaters have a sort of brown/earwax sort of look as against the gold of real ones. It is only really clear when there are some together though.
The other way is to look closely at flaws. Be familiar with the different flaws on freshwater and SS/tahitians.
Plus price of course. The reality is that pearls cost what they cost. If it's too cheap it probably is too cheap for a reason
When in doubt....

Internet connection sucks here, wrote a long post and lost it :(

Anyway the gist is: hotel workers told me there is a Hikari store (the company that owns these farms) in coron town, and that's the only place that has genuine SSPs that are grown in busuanga. They think the quality is not good, basically the rejects that aren't worth sending out.

I'll go check it out tomorrow morning before we head out to el nido. I will only have a couple of hours in town so won't be able to post pics before buying.

I'm planning to spend max of $500, gambling money! And I'm looking for very large baroque white SSP for a cocktail ring.

Will let you know how it goes.

Back