What would you say about these?

Lili4ka

Hello everyone,

I saw these loose half drilled pearls on ebay, and I think they would be great for my earrings. The seller who seams to specialize in pearls has a number of them, and the price seems to be very affordable.

The seller described them as 10.3mm AAA+++ Perfect Round White Australia South Sea Pearl Half Drilled 1 Pair.

What would you say about them? are there a quality pearls? Any questions that I should ask the seller about them?

Thank you so much!

peee.jpgpeaaa.jpgpearls10.3.jpg

Zowie, this seller is misrepresenting their pearls. They are selling Chinese freshwater pearls and advertising them as akoyas and South Sea.

The photo is a generic photo (they have sold 13 pairs already with the same photo). If you get FWP that have the luster of the pearls in the photo, you will have done fine for the price you paid. But I'm not entirely sure they aren't also selling "shell pearls" (imitations.) Some of the items they sell look too round, or too perfect in shape and size, for the price. And many are dyed.

Edit-- rereading your post, it seems you didn't buy them yet. My advice is: Steer clear!

Thank you Pearl Dreams!
They say al their pearls are genuine pearls not fake or shell pearls, are genuine nacre pearls. I asked them a question whether the pearls are authentic south sea ones.
The photos of the pearls for sale are
s-l1600.jpg s-l16001.jpg

Zowie,

If a seller lies about one thing, I figure they lie about other things. Have you looked at their other listings? They are all FWP.
These are not SSP.

And did you see the earrings that are supposedly 18K solid gold? For the price they are listed at? Impossible. Probably gold plated.

You will often see Chinese sellers using one photo to represent multiple items. This seller is using the same exact photo for their 10.3mm pearls as for their 9.5mm pearls. The photo is merely representative and you cannot know what the actual pearls will look like until you get them. Look:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/9-5mm-AAA-W...546597?hash=item2ee5a8e465:g:4JoAAOSwnipWaDzX

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-3mm-AAA-...251667?hash=item2ecfb52853:g:ljgAAOSwwE5WaD3i

If you are okay with taking a chance, buy them, but do not expect SSP. The seller takes returns but you'd have to ship them back to China with proof of delivery.

I will add this: If it looks too good to be true, it probably is. SSP cost a lot more than that.
Also the color tone of the pearls is that of FWP, not SSP.

Last edited:
A quick search showed this seller has complaints against them on Ebay for selling plated metal as solid 14K gold, and didn't pick up returned items.

I also saw that they use the same photo for different items, which means you will not get the pearls in the photo.

Buyer beware.

Back