Tiny treasure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tiny treasure

I thought id share one of my little beauties with you all...This little natural pearl and table-cut diamond brooch as been lying in its specially made silk-lined box for over two hundred years...that's how many generations, who have looked after it and kept it safe? Where has it been and where did it come from? It has no marks, and I've no clue as to its origin or exact age. I just like to open the case sometimes and wonder... The whole measures just 5cm.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	17.6 KB
ID:	405982Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	405983
    Helen

www.fetheray.com

Beautiful, simple elegence. I hope you do wear it sometimes.

Comment

Yes, gorgeous! Please wear it...pearls need to be worn

Comment

Treasure is right! I'd love to see the pin closer on a white background and then from the back. Even the little case is a delight.

Comment

It's really cute!

Comment

Yes, a little treasure like that should be fully displayed here for future learners. This is exquisite and unique. And I think showing something here is a new kind of provenance, even if it begins today.
            Caitlin

How to hand-knot pearls without a tool

My avatar is a Sea of Cortez mabe pearl. One of a pair of Mexican handmade earrings.

Comment

Now its your family heirloom!

Comment

Oh, precious! Yet whimsical also. Thanks for sharing.
                Pattye

PatriciaSaabDesigns.etsy.com

facebook.com/PatriciaSaabDesigns

SO MANY PEARLS, SO LITTLE TIME----

Comment

How sweet is that !! Love it!
                  https://www.instagram.com/pearlzaustralia/?hl=en
                  https://www.etsy.com/shop/pearlzaustralia

Comment

A trasure! With the case as GG said Lucky you!
                    Nora

Comment

oh, table cut diamonds are a fave! Very pretty piece, I would be tempted to turn it into a pendant
                      Check out my jewelry here

Comment

I am learning from you all about antique jewelry~how were you able to date this to 200+ years old?
                        Pattye

PatriciaSaabDesigns.etsy.com

facebook.com/PatriciaSaabDesigns

SO MANY PEARLS, SO LITTLE TIME----

Comment

I'll add my 2 cents to your question, Pattye: identifying a piece of antique jewelry to a particular time period can be tricky as there have been design revivals over time (i.e. renaissance revival during the 19th century), but one can use clues on the piece at hand to make a reasonable determination. In the case of this lovely pin, I would say the late georgian period based on the style and the use of a less rudimentary table cut diamond. The style of the setting the diamond is in is fairly telling as is the use of silver topped gold as white gold or platinum was not yet in use. The silver tarnishes and takes on that beautiful charcoal oxidation over a long period of time. I have seen a lot of georgian reproduction jewelry out there, ebay has abounds, but old jewelry has a look of time wear that newer reproductions don't (unless they are very very good and therefore very expensive).
                          Check out my jewelry here

Comment

I'm glad you all love this little pearly flower too..thank you for your comments...im really drawn to its small, fine jewellery and i find its neatness really pleasing.

Madsciencechik, im glad you agree about the age. It could be earlier, but im going for 1800 at least.

Pattye, with dating antique pieces, once it has been ascertained that an item is old, handmade and has all the qualities you would expect, it comes down to a number of different factors particularly relating to, in the case of this little pin, what is in books, as items of this type are pretty rare. As to where the pearls are from, I think I'll do some more research to try and look at likely locations.
                            Helen

www.fetheray.com

Comment

oh that is absolutely adorable, the entire package, case and pin. i agree with the pendant-izing idea, if it is possible without damaging! lovely.
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                              ill-sorted ephemera
                              assorted bits and bobs, stuff and nonsense
                              https://www.etsy.com/shop/illsortedephemera

Comment

Working...
                              X