Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And for something else completely different.

I'm a hand spinner and hand weaver. This is my interpretation of Eowyn's Starry Mantle from The Lord of the Rings.

It is handspun silk and wool, hand woven and embroidered with crystals and freshwater pearls for the stars. In motion, the stars sparkle. The center with the red glow has been interpreted by different people as either a sunset, or mist or fog rising, or a distant mountain still lit by the rays of the setting sun. The pearls were either stars, or distant lights from houses on the mountain.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2194.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	362845

Name:	IMG_2195.jpg
Size:	136.4 KB
ID:	362846

Name:	IMG_2196.jpg
Size:	116.6 KB
ID:	362847

I didn't photograph the ends of the shawl, but it has long fringe covered in crystals and pearls.
    Last edited by BWeaves; 10-16-2015, 12:25 AM.

Comment

• That is very cool! (And I love The Lord of the Rings).

Comment

• And now back to our regularly scheduled program.

Kevin from POJ just sent me the most gorgeous 11-12 mm metallic FW pearl drops for me to hang on earrings I already own.

So on with the show.

Yellow gold and diamond huggies that were a gift from my mother. I think this is how I'll usually wear the drops.

Name:	IMG_2198.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	110.5 KB
ID:	362848

Yellow gold and diamond oval hoops that were another gift from my mother.

Name:	IMG_2199.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	126.2 KB
ID:	362849

Yellow gold and CZ loopy earrings. These normally have an earring jacket that loops in the opposite direction, but I took the jacket off to try the drops on the main earring.

Name:	IMG_2203.jpg
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	362850

The earrings.

Name:	IMG_2205.jpg
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	362851

The drops next to my natural white Hanadama 8mm rope from PP. The pink reflection in the left pearl is me. It was breast cancer awareness day at work and we all wore pink shirts.

Name:	IMG_2207.jpg
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	362852
        Last edited by BWeaves; 10-15-2015, 11:13 PM.

Comment

• Things sure are glorious today! I'm awestruck. I think the pearls on the shawl look like stars And the clustered lights of a village.

look at those drops, that luster...

Comment

• Beautiful drops, and I love those huggies, too!

Comment

• I love your tapestry (is that the proper term for the textile?) My grand mother was a weaver...I never learned the skill, but always wanted to...she would never let me near her loom. Your collection of pearls and earrings are fantastic. Wear them all well!
              http://www.oceanscovejewelry.com
              Instagram: Ocean's Cove

Comment

• Good call on the tapestry. The shawl was woven in an 8 shaft twill, and I laid in the weft in a tapestry technique, but since the fabric is not weft faced, it's not actually a tapestry. It's a balanced weave structure, so the warp and weft show equally. In tapestry, the weft completely covers the warp.

I'm having a bit too much fun playing with my new drops. I don't think I'll wear them this way, but I thought I'd thread them on my white and yellow gold cables and see what they looked like. They move around a bit too much I think. I had a hard time getting them to stay lined up for the photo.

Name:	IMG_2210.jpg
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	362854

Comment

• I love the two tone doubled! And thanks for the lesson on tapestry! I love how everyone here is smart about their particular craft!!! Thank you!

Comment

• Ckrickett, LOVE that clever combination of necklaces .. very creative!

BWeaves, your pearls are lovely ... but OH that shawl ... how wonderful!!! I'm trying to teach myself the craft of fine lace knitting ... 3 ripped stitches for every one I've kept LOL. I want to go back and try some more silk ribbon embroidery embellished with FW pearls too ... never enough time. Spinning and weaving is so fascinating.
                    Cathy

CathyKeshi

Comment

• Beautiful work, BWeaves! Love the red shades you introduced.

Comment

• Wow, beautiful shawl and of course beautiful pearls!
                        Thank you for sharing!
                        Happy Huku
                        Queensland
                        Australia

Comment

• Beautiful Bweaves
                          WestPearls.com My Shop
                          West Pearls on Etsy

Comment

• And today the new drops get worn.

Name:	IMG_2214.jpg
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	362858

I swear the lighting looked better when I took the photograph.

Comment

• You don't hear me complaining - very nice!

Comment

• Me either! I didn't realize how large those drops are! They look fantastic...and so does the rope. Your top is cute too....and of course, I am remiss in not commenting on that disco ball clasp!! It's gorgeous.

Comment

Working...
                                X