Who is going to the June Hong Kong Fair?

Cees

Anyone visiting the Hong Kong Fair starting on June 25?

Great Hisano and Jeremy, look forward seeing you again.

Hi Jeremy and Cees,
In your opinion, do you get better Tahitians in HK, at a better price, than you would, say, buying at auctions in FP?

I've had better luck at auctions outside of FP but pricing is all over the board. There are a handful of companies in Hong Kong that typically have better separated lots (quality and price) than most Papeete dealers that I have seen.

Thanks Jeremy - yes I've also found the Papeete 'negociant' dealers, outside of auction, to be more expensive. At auction in FP though, there has been a nice way to connect with farmers, their product and find good lots. I think speaking French helps.

I have a year round great source in Bangkok where I spend most of the time when not in Europe on a sales tour. This Kobe company sends all their pearls to their pearl processing plant in Bangkok to clean, sort, match and make strands of South Sea-, Akoya- and Tahiti pearls. Missing pearls I buy in Hong Kong. But you are right to say that FP exhibitors at the Fair charge mostly more.

I agree that the FP dealers charge more at the fair than the HK dealers, but specifically about auctions I've had better luck outside of FP. Yes, you can connect with farmers (several do attend the HK show too and exhibit with large lots), but the auctions I've been to lacked any sort of central pricing on the lots. They are priced individually by the producers, which can put floor pricing all over the place. That said, there will often be those special (quality and price) lots that you can't get elsewhere. The Rikitea 5600 drop A/B peacock came from one of those. The closest I'd seen at an auction outside of FP was quite a few years ago and was a real "loot" lot.

I will arrive on June 25 in the morning and leave evening of June 26, Jeremy

It was good to see you Cees!!!

Attachments

• IMG_0494.JPG
    IMG_0494.JPG
    132 KB · Views: 40
Hisano, when I saw this apron in The Hague in The Netherlands I immediately thought about you as the Queen of Pearls :)

Back