Michelle Obama

I'm going to write. I don't know why I haven't before. Oh, yes I do know. When she lightened the heavy eyebrows I figured they were using focus groups, and I didn't need to write. I don't think my opinion is significant, because I can't be the only one seeing this. She looks so darn uncomfortable sometimes, and I FEEL for her, protective of her. Silly me, that protectiveness of a mother coming out, and my own daughter resists my WISDOM, chuckle. I don't know how ANYONE manages constantly being scrutinized, and in such a public way...

I don't mean to be b****y, but it just bursts out occaisionally. :(

I just found this article about Ikram Goldman - The woman behind Michelle Obama's style and fashion.

http://www.nydailynews.com/lifestyl...meet_ikram_goldman__the_woman_with_the_k.html

and here are 61 photos of the this incredible lady:

http://www.newsday.com/sports/olympics/chi-michelle-obama-dress-pg,0,1282473.photogallery

I followed the top link, and then read the comments beneath the article. I knew I wasn't the only one to see a problem.

Ikram is beautiful in her own right, isn't she?

Yes, something is improving in MO's wardrobe- she looks just right on the cover of Nov Prevention, hot! at the Medal of Honor ceremony, and fabulous in the red Michael Kors shantung(?)suit. So, writing with compliments is much more fun than writing w criticisms!!! Now writing her staff will be fun!

Last edited:
Couldn't resist looking at all the photos, (although other stuff needs to be done). I don't think anyone is mean in their comments about her style and choice of clothes. It appears she has chosen a beautiful advisor, yes, with a sense of drama. I like the way she mixes in some inexpensive labels.

My main comments would be that the dresses I found most unflattering were the ones with white skirt and black bodice. She has "womanly hips" and well, most of us know that story!

I have always been fascinated by fashion, textiles, design, sewed and tailored for much of my life--

Michelle no doubt has some strong ideas about how she wants to dress--she's no puppet --------

Love the photo with the stack of bracelets, turquoise, 2 Tahitians, etc

Amen! to the womanly hips...and with smallish breasts myself, I know it's hard to look balanced. Actually, now that I'm old, I'm puzzled about having a new shape, less hippy. I guess it's the estrogen lack?

Sewed and tailored - for yourself? Others? I used to sew a lot for myself, then I had kids, and found a wonderful thrift store. It was so good that it was cheaper to buy-and-alter than to make from scratch.

Oops. I find myself feeling guilty for spending time and space on topics other than pearls here. Y'all are just such a gold-mine of interests, and talents that it's hard to stay narrow re topics.

I know!!!I should just have posted the ques to your site! I'm still getting used to computers, and forums.

Such an interesting topic, when you get down to it. MO has enough style that she really never does look like a puppet, does she? It's great that she chooses a wide variety of designers to wear and really carries off all her jewelry.

I have a similar, if much shorter build, and it's taken me many years to figure out attractive silhouettes. Of course accessories like those PEARLS that take the eye up when one has womanly hips or is otherwise not 22 and a stringbean is a big style bonus. I particularly like the black dress with the double strand in one of the linked photos - it's a great example of a "classic" but in a shape that works for her body. That necklace sits very nicely in the neckline of her dress.

Pearls catch so much light and movement just as a normal function of their luster that I think they serve really well to direct attention to a nice smiling face.

Back