Pearls with gold paint

Lady_Disdain

There isn't much information but I thought these were breathtaking. Can you imagine a very large pearl with the leaves design, hanging from a long gold chain?

http://ashadedviewonfashion.com/2015/03/08/karafuru-maki-e-pearl-musee-des-arts-decoratifs/

asvof-2015-03-08-karafuru_maki-e_pearl_musee_des_arts_decoratifs_-alice_develey-34699717.jpg

May be I'm wrong! sorry! but as for me it is a vandalism to paint over good pearl!

Lady_Disdain, thanks you for sharing it, very interesting!

Naan, I hardly would call it vandalism - I mean, if it makes the pearl look attractive and remarkable, why not?))

Technical question. Any idea o what does the paint consist of? Is it karat-gold based or just paint?...

Dear girls! I'm agree! If it paint over blemishes and with real gold - it's ok!

Those are gorgeous. I wonder how well the paint holds up to friction.

I'd worry about longevity too, especially on a pendant or necklace. They are very pretty though... like little orbs of artwork.

I wondered about the durability too, whether the paint might wear off quickly if you got wet or sweated (or are unlucky enough to have acidic skin). So beautiful, though! I have to admit I've not been the biggest fan of faceted/carved pearls, but I like this idea better. It seems to preserve the natural state of the pearl more than the carving/faceting. (Of course, I may be completely wrong about that! Just my uninformed opinion.)

Good point. I do have acidic skin which would strip the paint off or oxidize it as well. :)

Did a quick google search about the durability of lacquer versus paint and found this:

Lacquer is not unlike Nail polish, not just in it's chemical structure but in that it is made to be durable, chip resistant & is applied to a moving organic surface. Paint is made as a solid and meant to block & seal the surface below it, it is unable to accommodate the movement of wood as good as Lacquer's, Varnishes & Oils. Most Catalyzed Lacquer's have a low life range of 15 years, with proper care this can easily go beyond that range. Paints have a 5 year range at which time they become brittle. As paints get older they get less flexible. Latex Paints are also susceptible to moisture, you can not clean them easily.

I'd love to get a large pendant with the ginkgo pattern, but I didn't see any for sale on their site.

Back