2016 JCK Jeweler's Choice Awards - Pearls Edition

AMc

McA
Another year, and another stunning array of jewels from the JCK Jeweler's Choice Awards! For some Friday "Eye Candy" I thought I'd showcase the winning pearl designs (and there are some doozies!). Enjoy!

Maui-Divers-Tahitian-Pearl-Ring.jpg

Maui Divers took home a prize in Best Ring Designs with this 18K Yellow Gold and Diamond-accented Tahitian Pearl Ring. This gorgeously colored black pearl features intense Peacock overtones, and is an impressive 16.0mm in size. It's rare to find one so large and colorful!

Frank-Ruebel-Rose-Gold-Tahitian-Ring.jpg

Frank Reubel Designs won for Pearl Jewelry Under $2,500. The Rose Gold "Overpass" ring design features a sparkling assortment of white and cocoa-colored diamonds wrapped over and around a Chocolate Tahitian pearl measuring 10.0-11.0mm.

Jorge-Adeler-Lavender-Freshwater-Pearl-Ring.jpg

I really love this one - it's a Jorge Adeler design featuring red gold and a stunning free-form Lavender Freshwater baroque pearl as its crowning glory. Wow. Winner Pearl Jewelry Category: $2,500-$10,000.00

Maui-Divers-Tahitian-Diamond-Pendant.jpg

So, I actually participated in the voting this year which was actually pretty fun (but I wish they'd have offered multiple views of the submissions and had WAY bigger pictures to use when picking out favorites - but that's another story ...). I totally voted for this Maui Divers Tahitian Pearl and Diamond Pendant, and it won! You're welcome, Maui, lol. Just kidding! Congratulations are due though for a seriously to-die-for design! Winner Diamond Jewelry Category, $2,501-$10,000

yoko-london-2016-jck-winner.jpg

Yoko London scored another victory (and they so deserve to - I die a little with envy every time I see one of their necklaces!) for pearls and proving that Freshwater pearl jewelry can be amazingly sophisticated, a little bit wild and uncompromisingly luxurious. This masterpiece features their "Radiant Orchid" Lavender Freshwater pearls, 10.0-13.0mm, blue Tahitians 10.0-13.0mm, Sapphires, Diamonds and Amethysts set in 18K Black Gold. Winner Pearl Jewelry Over $10,000 Category.

Just for fun, here are their 2014 and 2015 winning submissions (because yes, I love them that much!):

Yoko-London-2014-JCK-Winner-Carnevale.jpg
Carnevale, Yoko London. Winner 2014 JCK Jeweler's Choice Awards

yokonlondon-2015-jck-winner.jpg

Queen Pearl, Yoko London. Winner 2015 Jeweler's Choice Awards.

I was a little bit perplexed that I didn't see (or maybe I just can't remember, who knows?) anything from Autore submitted for Pearls this year - did I miss something? And I was definitely bummed that I didn't see Little h's amazing Tahitian and Black Diamond Cufflinks picked - I upvoted Hisano every chance I got!

Anyways, hope you guys all enjoy a little Friday Eye Candy! :)

All photos courtesy of JCK Magazine and jckonline.com

Yoko London never ceases to amaze me! I will say ages ago when I took my first GIA class, one of the things they focused on was "functional/practical" wearable jewelry. These days it seems there are no limits to the imagination when it comes to what is wearable and in some ways throwing out limits leads to designs that are very inspired, if not wholly wearable.:eek:

Ohhh they are all lovely, thanks for sharing.

Right?! I feel like I could start FanGirl-ing them so hard lol.

Glad everyone's enjoyed the post so far :)

Thanks for posting this! I, like everyone else, am always so in awe of the Yoko pieces! OMG! The others are nice too of course, but there is something super striking about the creativity and wow factor of those Yoko necklaces.

Last edited:
Thank you for sharing. Those are drool worthy. I always love the Yoko necklaces, but aside from a red carpet, I don't know where one wears them.

I'd wear those rings and pendants though, with jeans.

Last edited:
They are lush, thanks for sharing! I love the free-form Lavender pearl ring design and the Tahitian pendant the most.

DK :)

Couldn't agree more Blaire - that diamond pave and Tahitian pendant from Maui I would wear everywhere!

Back to the Yoko though - I have yet to see more than a pair of earrings on the red carpet ... I see their pearls on Pinterest and via trade publications, but no big name celebs rocking these crazy-cool necklaces. That'll change soon enough I suppose. ;)

Seriously, I love Yoko London's jewels, but their "representative" has been rude to me every time I have talked to him. Which is odd, because so many high end organizations like Jewelmer and Autore have been kind and have bent over backward for me and Pearl Guide. I didn't even bother when I was in Hong Kong. I walked across the way, where Jacques Christophe Branellec treated me like a rock star. :)

Seriously, I love Yoko London's jewels, but their "representative" has been rude to me every time I have talked to him. Which is odd, because so many high end organizations like Jewelmer and Autore have been kind and have bent over backward for me and Pearl Guide. I didn't even bother when I was in Hong Kong. I walked across the way, where Jacques Christophe Branellec treated me like a rock star. :)

I encountered a really rude rep from Yoko at the local jewellery fair a few years ago too. I wonder why? It makes for really bad business doesn't it?

But they did have really gorgeous pearls. Beautifully matched strands and necklaces...

Even though I love their jewelry pieces, there are some things I haven't understood about their approach to selling online.

For example, I always wonder why they don't disclose prices on their website. I know that they are very high end and expensive - but is this the reason? I have asked them this directly via email - they replied that this was "top management's decision."
In order to get a price, you need to email them directly about a certain piece, and then they write you back with a quote. Which isn't that convenient.

These days, most people like to do their own comparing between vendors, getting a feel for prices before they decide on purchasing.

Maybe someone here knows why?

It's a kind of prestige protection of their brand. They aim to be very exclusive. Their jewelry is supposed to be purchased in fine jewelry stores and if anyone could get a price outside of their channels, it would reduce the mystique and make it more like a commodity. This is not unusual amongst fine jewelry brands.

I can't blame them for not wanting to share information, but I can blame them for being snooty. :)

Back