Pearl Bibliography

anyone can point me some sources to read about south sea pearls environment? and emerging technology, etc??? thanks. I'm tempted to to read most of the books mentioned, but like to know more about upcoming things.

Hi In my current collaborative Wisconsin History Magazine project about a significant pearl rush in Wisconsin in 1896 lots of historical information concerning N. American pearls has come to fore.
I have found the Aude book sellers site to be loaded with reprints and used pearl books. The Kunz book sells for 950 to 2200 dollars no doubt depending on the condition. I just purchased a 1913
reprint. I have a Doctoral thesis copy from the 20's being sent to me. Interesting.

Wisconsin Natural pearl

Wisconsin Natural pearl

we'll see if this shows up It is a natural wing pearl from Upper Mississippi River
and the gauge shows the length and the mirror shows the bottom side.

All the following books are available at huge discounts online and are also available in local libraries

The Book of the Pearl by George Frederick Kunz and Charles Hugh Stevenson
reprint by Dover Books, $17.95 new.

Pearls: A Natural History by Neil H Landman, Paula Mikkelson, Harry N Abrams 2001 $55.00 new.

Pearl Buying Guide: How to Evaluate, Identify and Select Pearls & Pearl Jewelry by Renee Newman, International Jewelry Publications; 2004

Which of these books would you recommend for iding a pearl to species or at least to family? Are there even pearl dichotomous keys in existence?

Pearls by Elisabeth Strack has dichotomous keys. Maybe get it from the GIA? Sometimes they have it, sometimes they don't.
The natural history book is large with great photos. I forget the text, and the book of the pearl is best for the history of natural pearls, up to 1908 when it was published. It was the best of its kind until Strack came along and also included cultured pearls.

Pearls by Elisabeth Strack has dichotomous keys. Maybe get it from the GIA? Sometimes they have it, sometimes they don't.
The natural history book is large with great photos. I forget the text, and the book of the pearl is best for the history of natural pearls, up to 1908 when it was published. It was the best of its kind until Strack came along and also included cultured pearls.

Sounds like the Strack book is the way to go for now; thanks, Caitlin!

If anyone has a beat up, used version of this book and wants to sell it, please contact me! GIA has it up new for $130-, way out of my price range!

Look on used book websites such as Abe Books, half.com, ex-libris and others (there are so may to choose from out there) to see what they have Be diligent & check often as used book prices vary all over the place. Good luck!

Cheers

Ash

I never heard of anyone letting go their copy....Maybe when the new edition comes out. This book is expensive, but you will never need another one to become an expert on pearls- or at least look up anything you want to.

I don't have spare dollars for much of anything, including pearls, but this book is worth every penny. $130 is about what it has always cost- including shipping.

You might find your dichotomous keys online from a malacological site or even a seashells for sale site. I used to be on an academic list for malacology, but I can't remember its name....

I never heard of anyone letting go their copy....Maybe when the new edition comes out. This book is expensive, but you will never need another one to become an expert on pearls- or at least look up anything you want to.

I don't have spare dollars for much of anything, including pearls, but this book is worth every penny. $130 is about what it has always cost- including shipping.

You might find your dichotomous keys online from a malacological site or even a seashells for sale site. I used to be on an academic list for malacology, but I can't remember its name....

Good idea, Caitlin; I'll have to do some interweb searching for some sites using that keyword since "pearl dichotomous key" didn't yield much of anything.

try Unios for freshwater and pinctada for saltwater. There are more genera for saltwater mollusks than pinctada, like the Pterias, but this should get you started!

Hi
I know this is an old conversation, but I’m looking for recommendations for Pearl books.
I finished CPAA course and Renee Newman's book, Pearl Buying Guide 6th edition
I still think there is so much more to learn. What would be a good reference to keep learning.

Thanks everyone,

This specific forum -- Pearls Books and Resources-- is a treasure trove of the very kinds of book recommendations you are looking for. :)

Hi all,
Question - Which of the available books will you flag as "must-have" for a novice like me?

Many thanks.

I probably have all the pearl buying guide books and the Renee Newman book is my go to book. Plus, she updates it regularly, so make sure you get the latest edition.

Elizabeth visited in Wisconsin several years ago and I had the honor of guiding her around to some local collectors and the UW Botany shell collection located in the 7th level down basement. I have several copies of her book and copies of her printed news letter "Margaritologia" in English. She only prints online now as I understand it. www.strack-gih.de If you want more information you can email me at .....pearlman@mlange.org..... I don't usually answer quickly cause I'm old and busy.
pearlman

I have an old volume on Mollusca
Bulletin of the university of Wisconsin
Serial no. 1527
part II Pelecyopoda
by Frank Baker.. Curator of Museum of Natural History ..University of Illinois
Madison Wisconsin.....Publ 1928
as a unrelated note: The US Dept of something maybe Fish and Wildlife is having high success rate at reintroducing endangered Molluscs
If you want more information email me at pearlman@mlange.org

pearl man

Back