Pearl Paradise The Internet's Largest Collection of Fine Pearls - Shop Now! 80% Off Retail. Free Returns. Free Shipping. A+ Rating on BBB.

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Candled Natural Pearls

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Candled Natural Pearls

I've been candling and photographing several natural pearls lately and selected a few that you might find interesting.

It's an excellent alternative to the otherwise expensive process of X-ray from the labs.
    Attached Files

Very, very cool!
    Pattye

PatriciaSaabDesigns.etsy.com

facebook.com/PatriciaSaabDesigns

SO MANY PEARLS, SO LITTLE TIME----

Comment

Absolutely cool, all right!

Comment

what amazing pictures - all the pearls bar one, look like they could still be floating in the ocean - like those stange creatures you sometimes see photos of near the bottom - there's just something 'marine' about them

thanks for posting them Dave
        Alex

Comment

This is very hard to photograph. Hmmm... Gonna search for more suggestions to achieve such nice results.

Comment

It's easy. I used a grey plastic jewelry box, about 1.5 inches square. I drilled a small hole in the bottom and a notch in the side. The hole can be any size smaller than the pearls to be examined. (I made a few of different sizes) Then I soldered an inexpensive LED to the wires of a used 12 volt adapter and place it under the inverted box, the notch allows it to lay flat over the wire.

Then you can use the camera's macro setting or a low power USB microscope to photograph your pearls.

Comment

Another turn-on. Like little universes unto themselves - endlessly fascinating.

Comment

Hi Dave,

Great info. Thanks for posting this.

What type of lighting, camera, etc. do you use to candle these pearls?
                I tried to do this using a normal torch.. err... flashlight to you Americans. Would that suffice?

Comment

Originally posted by katbadness View Post
                  What type of lighting, camera, etc. do you use to candle these pearls?
                  A 12 volt automotive (interior) LED worth about a dollar and a 5 megapixel USB telescope at 200x with the internal lighting turned off.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by katbadness View Post
                    I tried to do this using a normal torch.. err... flashlight to you Americans. Would that suffice?
                    I expanded on the idea from Steve (smetzler) who used a flashlight to candle his pearls. I like the LED box, because it sets nicely on a table or countertop, leaving hands free to set critical focus and run the computer.

And I'm Canadian

Comment

Yes you are!

Comment

Fascinating

Comment

Re: Canadian... Oh right.. sorry... hahaha...

Re: setup for candling...
                          I picked up a few bluish SSP at the Indonesian Pearl Festival the other day (umm, I am still holding out on pics on you guys).. I was told by one vendor that the blue color is a result of "impurities" in the water that is filtered through by the oysters during the cultivation period. Not being a scientist, I don't even know if this explanation even makes sense. Could this be true?

Curious, I put a torch (flashlight.. heheheh) against all my blue-casted pearls and found that indeed they all have spots/marks throughout the nacre. One green keshi I picked up had the yellow colored nacre with this spots/marks throughout, which I assume is why the keshi is green colored.

I'm going to have to see if I can have a setup like yours and post pics.

Comment

Wow! Amazing pictures! Thanks for showing us.

Comment

Very cool pics and thanks for tips on how they were done.
                              For those challenged by wiring up an LED, a goose neck book light may be an alternative, something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Multi-Flex-Cli.../dp/B002XHOCVQ
                              kiwipaul
                              Auckland
                              New Zealand

Comment

Working...
                              X